97 Tahoe ac low press switch wont energize comp clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lght1

Reaction score
Hi

Due to a health crisis this Tahoe sat 2 yrs before awakening late last year.
All is well now except no functioning ac system.

The system was working well until after the ac season ended in 2021 and the Tahoe's long sleep ended late in 2023.

During its slumber, a leak occurred at the HP charge port. I replaced both HP and LP schrader valve and vacuumed the system down to prove integrity for 5 hrs which it passed. I know this because I use a manifold gauge set.

I black lighted the entire system also to see if even a trace of dye was present and found none.

I did direct feed the comp clutch using a power probe in the proper fuse box pin and clutch engaged.

I visually verified all fuses and a known good relay to no positive effect.

I decided to start the process of charging the system under its vacuumed state and finally finished its 2lb 12oz fill by using the power probe. Air out of vents was cold at 35-40F and ambient was 80f although exact humidity was unknown it was humid.

Gauge pressure finalized at 45lb and 200lbs @ 80F

I tried jumping the LPS at accumulator to no effect.

At this point i was wondering if the dash control was even sending a signal so since I have three new units in my garage, I swapped out one for another to no change.

Sine I have this weekend off, i am going to verify voltage at the dash unit , under the fuse panel including the pins of the relay under various ken on/off conditions including input from the control unit.

Two things I an asking for is am i on the right path and what voltages should i be expecting from fuse box pins ?

This truck was running perfect before my illness and just sitting has done this.

I neglected to note this one point. When attempting g to jump the accumulator LPS connector, I noticed what looked like green on one of its connectors. If this is an issue and I need to run a new circuit(s) is their a tutorial for this specific job? I could use input on this as well

This truck is special to me and its a bit painful to see what sitting has done to it.

Any help is much appreciated

1997 Chevy Tahoe 2dr LS

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You jumped the connector and no response. Was there power at the connector to LPS ?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Download the service manual set for your vehicle from the links in the Sticky thread section of the Engine forum.

Trace the wiring leading to the low-pressure switch all the way back to the battery.

IF that includes a red wire in a 3-wire connector somewhere under/behind the glovebox, that was the problem with my HVAC dash unit. The connector was melted/corroded and wouldn't pass enough current to make things work.

You must be registered for see images attach