96 GMC K2500 Suburban Restoration (with a couple of mods)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing, so it's not something you're doing wrong. Must be a solution
to a problem that was occurring at some point in the past? (Thinking scammer activity?)

Sounds like we share a similar perspective when it comes to quality sound reproduction. Just like
a pipe organ, quality deep bass almost always requires bigness. (Articulate bass, please)

These are the main reason why I cheerfully drove '1 car payment cars' in order to make a little room
in the budget be able to come home to these and fully unwind with quality sound in the house.

People see these speakers and think that I'm some sort of typical basshead. But they misunderstand.
I'm not trying to club myself with a giant one-note bass. Instead, I so enjoy hearing the difference
of the individual sound of each musician's drum kit. Being able to hear the size of the room/venue
that the recording was made based on the natural infrasonic reverb. Being able to hear the difference
in playing between Pino Pallodino vs Tal Wilkenfeld. According to the original designer, they were
supposed to play down to 16hz, thanks to dual voice coils (Watkins drive) and other technical trickery.

In short, I'll bet that anyone reading this has to make compromises in order to live their life. But if you
can indulge in at least 1 pleasurable pastime, it makes it so much easier to deal with everything else
forced upon you during a typical day.

When people ask why I make good sound a priority in my life, I tell them that I truly lucked out, for I
figured out how to self-medicate with music instead of other methods. (This way I was always able to
pass a random drug test w/ease, allowing me to continue to work on exciting stuff. Never a dull moment
in a typical workday. :0)

Congrats on not settling for a daily sonic disappointment. And sir, consider yourself a bad influence, for
my DD could certainly use a long overdue non-stock upgrade in this area. (Insert my mind racing here. :0)

Enjoy --

Thank you for that. And if I can help to improve your DD experience by being a bad influence, I’ll consider it a good thing. ;-)

Speaking of DD sound, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I took the way-undersized 6 x 8 powered Infinity sub and put it in the HHR, to facilitate the dual RF 8” powered sub installation in the Subdivision.

Now that the Subdivision subwoofer scene is sorted, I’m left with a RF 8” sub. It will go back in the HHR, as the Infinity is almost good enough, but the RF will be just right.

As for the Infinity sub, I have no idea what to do with it other than store in on a shelf.

Now that I’ve said I’ve no idea, it occurred to me that there’s a Kubota RTV1100 right here on the farm that has a vacant single DIN slot for a head unit, and enough space under the seat for that sub.

Maybe when the garage is finished…

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When people ask why I make good sound a priority in my life, I tell them that I truly lucked out, for I
figured out how to self-medicate with music instead of other methods. (This way I was always able to
pass a random drug test w/ease, allowing me to continue to work on exciting stuff. Never a dull moment
in a typical workday. :0)
My kids used to call heavy metal "screamo" music. Now my son's a fan. Most people don't recognize that metal is motivational music.

In that same vein, my garage playlist is pretty varied. After about half an hour the heaviest metal just becomes noise. You need some dynamic change. That's where having a stereo with a good range matters. I couldn't abide WCJr's tinny sound any more and put a small sub in it. Now it needs tweeters.

No, wait, it actually needs a whole new set of speakers. Those Pyles plain suck.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My kids used to call heavy metal "screamo" music. Now my son's a fan. Most people don't recognize that metal is motivational music.

In that same vein, my garage playlist is pretty varied. After about half an hour the heaviest metal just becomes noise. You need some dynamic change.

I'm the same way. From Meshuggah all the way through the classics like Zep & Trower to Steely Dan's Aja and finally Brian Eno's Music for Airports.
And also blues, big band and classical music. Anything played well and with passion transmits the essential vibe and declutters the mind.

From cleaning concrete floors to a long blast cabinet session to the trial assembly of an engine you've
always wanted to build, the right matching music brings much-needed patience and perseverance where there was none.

And it's hard to predict what I'll be listening to on any given day. But the better the sound system
in the shop the higher the project quality and better the productivity.

After listening to both units, I wound up choosing the 500W ported sub.

It sounds great - far better than what I was afraid I’d have to settle for. Now I can listen to music at a modest volume and actually hear and feel the bass. Solid, but not overwhelming.

If I ever got to audition your system and we only had time for 1 selection, I would want to hear this:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

For me good bass is so essential to the enjoyment of music. And not just sheer
throw weight. It's the dynamic range. The articulation. The spaces between the
notes. Being able to feel whatever motivated the musician to spend those hours
of their life to learn/master the playing of this music.

Don't get me wrong. I feel the same way about engines. Immediate and adequate
torque is to a driving experience as bass is to your favorite music. Always better to
have to dial it back a little than to fall short when the situation demands more. :0)

Life is full of tradeoffs. Just seems less so with the right music to propel you along.

Enjoy --

Last edited:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm the same way. From Meshuggah all the way through the classics like Zep & Trower to Steely Dan's Aja and finally Brian Eno's Music for Airports.
And also blues, big band and classical music. Anything played well and with passion transmits the essential vibe and declutters the mind.

From cleaning concrete floors to a long blast cabinet session to the trial assembly of an engine you've
always wanted to build, the right matching music brings much-needed patience and perseverance where there was none.

And it's hard to predict what I'll be listening to on any given day. But the better the sound system
in the shop the higher the project quality and better the productivity.

If I ever got to audition your system and we only had time for 1 selection, I would want to hear this:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

torque is to a driving experience as bass is to your favorite music. Always better to
have to dial it back a little than to fall short when the situation demands more. :0)

Life is full of tradeoffs. Just seems less so with the right music to propel you along.

Enjoy --
Whoa. That is exquisite.

Now to figure out how to play it through the Subdivision's sound system.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Enjoy --

I listened to this piece again - actually a couple of times - through the Klipsch speakers on my computer, and then through my Bose headphones. While neither is top of the line, they both sound pretty good, and provide enough of a sense of the depth and nuance of the bass to appreciate this work. The Klipsch, which includes a subwoofer, particularly so. I’ll try to play it through the sound system on the beast later today.

Putting the video up on a large monitor and watching Rinat and Ms. Edwards play their instruments adds a whole other dimension to the experience. His bass is beautiful, both in sound quality and appearance. It’s obviously an old and much loved bass. My understanding is that it was a gift from a colleague.

Watching him play while listening to the (insert superlatives that elude me, it’s so good) sounds he summons from his instrument makes the performance truly complete. I can only imagine what it would sound like in person.

So thank you for sharing that. While I hope that I can play it through the Subdivision’s sound system, even if I can’t, I am better for having heard and watched it.

Again, it is exquisite.

Last edited:

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the color isnt exact, but your visors arent a matching color to begin with. I wen through my extras, i have Spare passenger visor that is good but its grey, the tan visor i have is a driver side which you already have. if you dont like the color i can get something different. With more time i can find a matching visor if you like, id hate to send you mismatched visors. Let me know what you think

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
So the color isnt exact, but your visors arent a matching color to begin with. I wen through my extras, i have Spare passenger visor that is good but its grey, the tan visor i have is a driver side which you already have. if you dont like the color i can get something different. With more time i can find a matching visor if you like, id hate to send you mismatched visors. Let me know what you think

If he's not interested in the tan driver's side visor, I am, if it's not hideously expensive. Rawhide's is held together by a couple of rubber bands....
I got a decent used passenger side one at the wrecking yard, but the Escalade I got it from, had a messed up driver's side. So I left it in the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20240911_201514525.jpg
    IMG_20240911_201514525.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 4

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks I’d prefer matching visors. It will be worth waiting for, I expect.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks I’d prefer matching visors. It will be worth waiting for, I expect.
Ill look for both the burb and tahoe verisons and just go with what i find first, cant really be too picky when it comes to non broken visors, what about the color, are you ok with that

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's not interested in the tan driver's side visor, I am, if it's not hideously expensive. Rawhide's is held together by a couple of rubber bands....
I got a decent used passenger side one at the wrecking yard, but the Escalade I got it from, had a messed up driver's side. So I left it in the truck.
The spare tan is pretty rough, its what i call the “tahoe”style, i dont know if it would match if you have the burb visors