94 chevy c1500 5.7L TBI K code fuel, spark no start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shipahoy

Reaction score
History: Original owner 94 c1500 5.7L TBI K code engine 164K mi. She stopped in the driveway about two weeks ago, and hasn't started since, the stop was abrupt, no strange noises engine just stopped which led me to believe it might be electrical, but who knows. Original distributor, AC Delco ICM, AC Delco plugs (black), wires, cap, and rotor after market, new O2 sensor, replaced idle control valve with aftermarket about a year ago, besides duals exhausts sound system she's stock. Low compression in #1 (55 lbs), #3 (90, 70, 40 lbs), #5 (90 lbs), haven't checked the others yet but that was enough to let me know something is wrong that I don't understand oh yeah I checked the fuses under the dash, is there any ignition fuses somewhere else.
Been reading a little bit, and I am asking if the timing chain can cause this issue, by having too much slack, and not allowing the cam to open and close valves in the right timing, or the pistons are not rising and falling correctly. Give me some feedback, because I don't really want to be gutted by paying for troubleshooting labor.
Little Help

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
History: Original owner 94 c1500 5.7L TBI K code engine 164K mi. She stopped in the driveway about two weeks ago, and hasn't started since, the stop was abrupt, no strange noises engine just stopped which led me to believe it might be electrical, but who knows. Original distributor, AC Delco ICM, AC Delco plugs (black), wires, cap, and rotor after market, new O2 sensor, replaced idle control valve with aftermarket about a year ago, besides duals exhausts sound system she's stock. Low compression in #1 (55 lbs), #3 (90, 70, 40 lbs), #5 (90 lbs), haven't checked the others yet but that was enough to let me know something is wrong that I don't understand oh yeah I checked the fuses under the dash, is there any ignition fuses somewhere else.
Been reading a little bit, and I am asking if the timing chain can cause this issue, by having too much slack, and not allowing the cam to open and close valves in the right timing, or the pistons are not rising and falling correctly. Give me some feedback, because I don't really want to be gutted by paying for troubleshooting
Relax.
It is most likely an electrical problem.
No offence my freind but I dont think that you should go head first into compression testing.
Forget all about compression testing.
******* calm down and relax bud.
i am here for you just like the people on this forum were here for me.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compression readings are TERRIBLE.

Describe your process for compression testing, starting with whether you blocked the throttle at least part-way open.

DO YOU HAVE SPARK AT THE SPARK PLUGS WHEN CRANKING THE ENGINE?

DO YOU HAVE FUEL SPRAYING FROM THE INJECTORS WHEN CRANKING THE ENGINE?

shipahoy

Reaction score
Relax.
It is most likely an electrical problem.
No offence my freind but I dont think that you should go head first into compression testing.
Forget all about compression testing.
******* calm down and relax bud.
i am here for you just like the people on this forum were here for me.
OK, I'm relaxed, now what do I do, and what do I look for, and where? Thank You.

shipahoy

Reaction score
Compression readings are TERRIBLE.

Describe your process for compression testing, starting with whether you blocked the throttle at least part-way open.

DO YOU HAVE SPARK AT THE SPARK PLUGS WHEN CRANKING THE ENGINE?

DO YOU HAVE FUEL SPRAYING FROM THE INJECTORS WHEN CRANKING THE ENGINE?
No did not block the throttle.
No spark disconnected the coil.
Yes, fuel is spraying from injectors when cranking. Thanks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No did not block the throttle.
Compression readings should increase when the engine can ingest more air.

Whether the readings increase from "terrible" to "acceptable" is yet to be determined.

No spark disconnected the coil.
No spark BECAUSE you disconnected the coil? Reconnect the coil, see what happens.

Make sure you have power to the red wires at the coil when the key is turned to "Run".

Yes, fuel is spraying from injectors when cranking.
Tells me the computer is getting an RPM signal. That's good news.