89 RCLB K1500 - Quality time with my son building his first truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got started on the new truck by changing the fluids in the transmission, transfer case and both differentials. We also have the engine ready to come out, so it should be out in the next couple of days. The truck has almost 300k miles and it’s showing its age in some areas more than others. I happened upon some parts on marketplace for a really good deal today, so “project creep” has commenced.
Hopefully this rabbit hole isn’t too deep. Stay tuned.

You must be registered for see images attach

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my first truck (my W/T) my dad and I did a pretty significant amount of work to make it road worthy after sitting for 7 years. Brake lines, partial fuel line, fuel pump, and a basic tune up, axle bearings, smaller stuff.

We had fun, we also had our fair share of arguments.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We finished removing the engine today and found a brand new Luk clutch and pressure plate along with a GM flywheel and ARP bolts. With the engine out we are going to work on the front end and clean up the wire harnesses.

The front’s getting a new idler and pitman arms, tie-rods, hubs, knuckles, ball joints, upper control arms, sway bar bushing’s and links, shocks, calipers, rotors, pads and brake hoses. That should help make it road worthy.

We also put the wheels and tires off of my wife’s Yukon on it, not my favorite look, but my son likes it. Her new ones look much better.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today we got the engine compartment cleaned up, and swapped out the master cylinder and booster. We also got the idler and pitman arms changed, and most of the suspension and brakes demoed. We are going to use the factory cv axles from the 89, the boots are torn on this truck. We also used the power booster from the 89 because it’s a couple of inches bigger than the jb3 one. Tomorrow should be productive with the prep work we got done today. Time for beer and pizza.

95OBSMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Amen to the pizza and beer, doesn't get any better than that!! Of course the company that its in is what counts!!
The rest of the work looks excellent and the parts well look good in there new home!! Good score from the marketplace as well on the parts, thats going to be a really nice truck to drive!!

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went out to the garage this morning to find a small puddle of gear oil under the front diff, so after a couple of hours I got the axle seals changed out and got started on what I set out to do originally.
We rebuilt the lca’s from the 89 and then fought stuck torsion bars. Today was a challenge, but we ended up getting a few things done. We’ll keep plugging along and hopefully have it running next weekend.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got a little time this afternoon and got the motor mounts bolted down (there a bit of a pain), the center link torqued down and greased, and the driver side tie-rod installed and everything greased. Tomorrow we’ll start on the passenger side.

95OBSMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man nothing like new parts!!! plugging along is paying off, thats all we can do at times... so the 4x4's brake lines going from hard line to caliper just hang out? I do see where the line is pre-bent steel or stainless going to the caliper... Love the rotors!!

Looks great, should hold him for a little while huh?!!