6.5 diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found some at our local part store. Is it worth also putting a clear line from the ffm to the injector pump? Or is the return line enough?
Clear line on the return should be enough to check for air in the system
I'd like to hear a better description of the "rough running". Is it like a miss, any smoke at all? Does it sound like a miss out the exhaust or intake, or is this something you feel in the truck? Maybe it happens at certain vehicle speeds? Happens at certain engine rpm?

DeanRV

Reaction score
Clear line on the return should be enough to check for air in the system
I'd like to hear a better description of the "rough running". Is it like a miss, any smoke at all? Does it sound like a miss out the exhaust or intake, or is this something you feel in the truck? Maybe it happens at certain vehicle speeds? Happens at certain engine rpm?
Starts no problem hot or cold. At idle runs great. Rpm wise, over 1000 you feel a slight vibration, like a tire that is slightly out of balance and you can hear it through the exhaust. If it was a gasser I would say it has a fouled plug. I've taken it to work this morning, drove all the way on the freeway at about 110 kmh,( 70mph) no smoke whatsoever at any speed or when it's laboring but when placed on cruise control you can feel a slight back and forth, barely noticeable on the rpm. Ive owned the truck for about 7 years, bought from the original owner with about 200 000 km (124000 miles) at the moment it has 332 000 km(206 000 miles). He did keep all maintained records but no mention of injector replacement. In regards to the air issue, would I not be leaking diesel? I've had it parked in our driveway for a week, concrete driveway, no leaks.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The diesel crew here will surely chastise me for this, and I am absolutely not a diesel guy. However the balancer on these engines is notorious for coming apart and causing a lot more damage before it's done. Have you inspected the balancer? I am guessing here, 100%, but just throwing it out there in case it's not been considered.

Richard

DeanRV

Reaction score
The diesel crew here will surely chastise me for this, and I am absolutely not a diesel guy. However the balancer on these engines is notorious for coming apart and causing a lot more damage before it's done. Have you inspected the balancer? I am guessing here, 100%, but just throwing it out there in case it's not been considered.

Richard
Funny you mention

warrenmarion

Reaction score
I'm not a pro, but sounds like stopped up pickup in fuel tank. You have fuel at low flow rate (idling) but not at speed. If you can, rig pressure gauge to be seen while driving. Does it falter on acceleration, or just at cruise?

DeanRV

Reaction score
I'm not a pro, but sounds like stopped up pickup in fuel tank. You have fuel at low flow rate (idling) but not at speed. If you can, rig pressure gauge to be seen while driving. Does it falter on acceleration, or just at cruise?
Good flow at idle from the drain tube. I did connect a pressure gauge and at idle it reads a pretty steady 7 psi. It does the filter on acceleration and at cruise, less noticeable at idle.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While I would lean toward some type of fueling issue, it almost sounds like how I'd describe my old 6.5 with a bad lifter. But that is usually only when cold.
Very possibly injector is not spraying correctly. At that mileage, the injector pump may be looking for a vacation too.

DeanRV

Reaction score
Good evening, so I've replaced the fuel line from the ffm to the injection pump, replaced the line from ffm to drain valve, replaced the short 3/8 line from hard line to the ffm, replaced the return line with a clear line that's rated for diesel. Not one bubble in the line. If it was a bad injector you would think I would get some sort of smoke when I'm on the peddle? Is it possible it's the lift pump? At idle it's showing close to 7psi.....anyone on this forum from Vancouver B.C. who can recommend a diesel shop that understands 6.5?