350&4l80e to 454&4l80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnk2500

Reaction score
I have a 95 k2500 ext cab with a 350. We'll last Sunday I was driving home and the next thing you know ,a smoke trail that a blind man could follow. Pretty sure it blew the front seal out of it, oil everywhere and of course the belt came off, overheated and now the transmission is junk cause it don't want to hardly move forward or backwards. My boss has a 91 k3500 454 4l80e he wants to sell with only 90k on it. I know it would fit in my 95 k2500. My question is the computer. Do I use the one out of the 91, or just pull the prom out and put it in my 95. Can I buy and after market chip for a 95 k2500 with a 454 and 4l80e. I know the tps plug is different and I think the iac plug is to. Or should I use the harness from the 91? I was pulling a 6x10 dump trailer with a real small tractor in it. Wasn't pushing it hard or anything like that when all hell broke out. If I put a 350 back in it this would be the 3rd one to go in it. It just seems like a small block won't cut it. So I figured I would try a big block in it. I know fuel mileage will be out the door but I only drive to work and back and that's 7 miles one way. And sometimes to town and that's about 10 miles 1 way. Any help would be appreciated.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You gonna get the bigger radiator, accessory drive, and stiffer torsion bars from the big-block truck?

Kinda surprised that the trans died due to an engine failure.

Johnk2500

Reaction score
It's already got a pretty big radiator in it. I could use the torsion bars out of the k3500 if need be. It's a 91 and mine is the 95. I just don't want to put another small block in it.

Johnk2500

Reaction score
I just didn't know if I could use the computer out of the 91 or swap chips or?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the easy way would be to use your '95 electronic gizmos on the '91 engine. You may have to splice and solder the IAC and TPS or buy the correct terminals and crimping pliers to change the connectors(recommended).
Download the '91 and '95 FSM from the sticky and compare the trans pinouts for compatibility.