321 mile 1998 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Time fogs the memory too. When these trucks were new, and that premium leather interior on that 98, they were really comfortable and nice. And driving a brand new 98 Suburban certainly wasn’t a chore. I hear on this forum occasionally things like “oh, but they never really had good steering” or “the brakes never were good from the beginning”. When they were new, they were really nice trucks.
Shoot my wore out, beat up, 97 pickup is still comfy. And till the steering box wore out it drove great. Someday I hope to be able to drive my 99 tahoe project.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If it hasn't been said, the wear on the brake pedal pad indicates it has way more than 321 miles. Always one of the first things I look at.... Somebody got took. Often overlooked on a resto.
I agree with what you are saying about the brake pedal but there are no pics close enough for my old eyes to see a wear problem there. Can you give a pic # of what shows the concern? It looks dirty but that is all I can see.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I see a couple of pics of the brake pedal, but I think you’re seeing a pedal that’s been wiped down with something, is wet with a cleaner, or maybe a wet foot from moving the truck. If you know the auction this vehicle came from, the owners literally had numerous vehicles like this stashed away. There were many with less miles than this. No doubt in my mind this is as advertised.

It’s an interesting story about the previous owners. If you haven’t seen it, look it up in the early auction comments.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Time fogs the memory too. When these trucks were new, and that premium leather interior on that 98, they were really comfortable and nice. And driving a brand new 98 Suburban certainly wasn’t a chore. I hear on this forum occasionally things like “oh, but they never really had good steering” or “the brakes never were good from the beginning”. When they were new, they were really nice trucks.
Yuppers when we got our first '99 Burb, LT trim level like the current Burb (so a Silverado equivalent)...going from square body Burbs to it, Dad and I were saying "WOW, Burbs have REALLY gotten nice in 20 years!" And this was in 2005, and we'd been running square body Burbs since we bought the '79 in 1989. It was a Silverado, but had crank door windows and electric tailgate window. And non functional AC so the windows all needed to work! The two newer ones had power windows, velour buckets, and working AC, and were nice for their time...but in the time between when the squares were designed, and the 400s were designed, American ideas about what an SUV should be, had changed a LOT. They were no longer "just work trucks".....
And the square body buckets are comfortable, but the 400 ones on our trucks are even better. The Burb's leather buckets are worn out upholstery wise, but the seats are still comfy. I prefer the split bench in Rawhide, because it's firmer and more "chair height" than the buckets. And the cool air blowing on me WITHOUT dropping glass, helps a lot too!

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with what you are saying about the brake pedal but there are no pics close enough for my old eyes to see a wear problem there. Can you give a pic # of what shows the concern? It looks dirty but that is all I can see.
One pic in the ad shows the brake pedal pad. When I zoomed in it, it looks like the pattern is wore off the right side of it where one would slide one's foot off towards the gas.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see a couple of pics of the brake pedal, but I think you’re seeing a pedal that’s been wiped down with something, is wet with a cleaner, or maybe a wet foot from moving the truck. If you know the auction this vehicle came from, the owners literally had numerous vehicles like this stashed away. There were many with less miles than this. No doubt in my mind this is as advertised.

It’s an interesting story about the previous owners. If you haven’t seen it, look it up in the early auction comments.
I read through the ad. Did you read it? Also read where it stated there's a Carfax showing a 100k present on it.. The problem with Carfax is not every accident or inspection gets reported. It's lack of info that can be concerning. If something's on the Carfax you almost certainly bank on it being accurate. They certainly said it to cover their arse. Every salesman or individual with a for sale ad has a story. Odometer's still get tampered with, used car dealers can be an unscrupulous bunch, and seldom is something what it's represented to be.

Last edited:

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I read through the ad. Did you read it? Also read where it stated there's a Carfax showing a 100k present on it.. The problem with Carfax is not every accident or inspection gets reported. It's lack of info that can be concerning. If something's on the Carfax you almost certainly bank on it being accurate. They certainly said it to cover their arse. Every salesman or individual with a for sale ad has a story. Odometer's still get tampered with, used car dealers can be an unscrupulous bunch, and seldom is something what it's represented to be.
Yep. Read through the whole BAT ad and every comment. I was also already familiar with the trucks/autos from the collection when they originally sold.

The complete discussion on BAT addresses the mileage discrepancy and what the brothers did when changing titles. But hey, we all have an opinion. I still stand by the BAT auction. There's too many eyes on that site for everyone to get fooled. I would think that an expert in restoration that went through the painstaking detail to replace every tag on the engine and underside of the vehicle to oem (ex: torsion bars), would not have overlooked something as simple as a rubber brake pad. I've even considered changing mine even though it's hardly worn at 66K miles. I guess the buyer of the '89 K5 Blazer with under 30 miles that went for 154K at BJ got duped too. That truck came from the same collection/sale as well.

Last edited: