321 mile 1998 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know man, a brand new $80k 'burban has some nice accoutrements the classic does not have. Put 100k miles on it and still worth $40k.

Put 100k miles on your classic and it's worth like $7.5k.
I bought a brand new 2018 Silverado Z71. Thing was garbage and I could care less about all the “nice accoutrements”. I doubt they’ll be a forum in 26 years for them either. I wouldn’t fork out 80k for any vehicle, but if I did and those 2 were my only choices it would be the 98.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I don't know man, a brand new $80k 'burban has some nice accoutrements the classic does not have. Put 100k miles on it and still worth $40k.

Put 100k miles on your classic and it's worth like $7.5k.

I won't argue some of that point...but put 100k on the new one and its got problems....the old '98 still has 150k left...

The new ones will never look as good as a GMT400 K2500 Suburban in stock trim.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But it’s not 25 years ago today. The truck is in new condition and in my opinion a much, much better built truck than the piece of crap they’ve got today that’s called a “Suburban” for the same money.
An Oz. of gold in 1998 was worth $295.00, today it’s worth $2467.00. Stuff has a higher value today.
No, things are definitely different now and so are people and their expectations. If someone gave you that to drive across the country, then when you got there, gave you a 2024 version to drive back, you're going to tell me you wouldn't find the 2024 more enjoyable with it's creature comfort advancements?

I know what you mean tho, I can almost guarantee in 25-35 years there won't be almost any 2024 vehicles still on the road. To me it's just a suburban, not a collector car or a desirable rare vehicle. It's a 25 year old workhorse/commuter with 25 year old technology. Is it cool to see it with low miles sure. Is it a beautiful specimen of an OBS? Absolutely. Would I pay 81k for it to just sit and keep the miles off? Not likley.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a brand new 2018 Silverado Z71. Thing was garbage and I could care less about all the “nice accoutrements”. I doubt they’ll be a forum in 26 years for them either. I wouldn’t fork out 80k for any vehicle, but if I did and those 2 were my only choices it would be the 98.

I had a 2015 I really liked. Traded it on something else, that I traded on something else, that I ... but it was great while I had it.

That auction truck is a total loser if you ever drive it more than around the block once a month.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, things are definitely different now and so are people and their expectations. If someone gave you that to drive across the country, then when you got there, gave you a 2024 version to drive back, you're going to tell me you wouldn't find the 2024 more enjoyable with it's creature comfort advancements?

I know what you mean tho, I can almost guarantee in 25-35 years there won't be almost any 2024 vehicles still on the road. To me it's just a suburban, not a collector car or a desirable rare vehicle. It's a 25 year old workhorse/commuter with 25 year old technology. Is it cool to see it with low miles sure. Is it a beautiful specimen of an OBS? Absolutely. Would I pay 81k for it to just sit and keep the miles off? Not likley.
I can only say I love driving my 96 K1500 with just over 80k on it. It still drives like new. I don’t miss my 2018 Z71…not one bit! Or that stupid distracting screen on the middle of it’s dashboard.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I understand both sides of the argument here. However, as a collector of many things through the years I certainly understand the demand/price. The Suburban was the gold standard for SUVs in the '90s and if this strikes a chord with the memory banks AND you have the funds . . . why not?? Try to find another one like this with less mileage. If you can afford to pay 80K+, then you can afford to have it sit in your garage/collection.

Many don't understand people spending $10,000,000+ for a baseball card either, but it happens.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I really thought it would go for about $10k more than the sticker but almost double the sticker, is nuts to me but I didn't bid on it or buy it, so......more power to the buyer and it has a worth to them.

If I could find a low mileage, immaculate care, 96 Tahoe 2 door Sport, white with black accents, like the one I had, I would make a serious run at it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time fogs the memory too. When these trucks were new, and that premium leather interior on that 98, they were really comfortable and nice. And driving a brand new 98 Suburban certainly wasn’t a chore. I hear on this forum occasionally things like “oh, but they never really had good steering” or “the brakes never were good from the beginning”. When they were new, they were really nice trucks.