2006 Tahoe Z71-70k miles-Looking at today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

I have an appointment to look at this Z71 at noon today. One owner here in Eugene. Same color and layout as my 2005. No accidents and no dents and no scratches.

I had been looking for a GMT800 Silverado or Sierra K2500HD but there is crap out there.

I will be looking at the exhaust manifold bolts and will put on ramps to check for leaks and check for codes history and any paperwork the owner has.

I will report back my findings. One thing for sure is that I will not buy at $15k.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep, let's hear the full report. Looks promising. And that's a 10-11k vehicle.
Depending on my inspection, I am prepared to go as high as $12k but no higher. Hard to find in this shape but this is an Oregon vehicle with no rust.

There is a black 2006 Z71 tahoe with 6k miles on it at B.A.T. now. Current bid at $30k.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Why is it that I always, ALWAYS distrust sellers that don't include a direct clear picture of the driver seat, but every other seat in the vehicle?

At least if it is worn, you can easily source pretty good quality covers to re-upholster GMT800 leather seats, though.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Why is it that I always, ALWAYS distrust sellers that don't include a direct clear picture of the driver seat, but every other seat in the vehicle?

At least if it is worn, you can easily source pretty good quality covers to re-upholster GMT800 leather seats, though.

Richard
I am familiar with that and typically expect that. I had a 2002 Tahoe that I had the seat done on. I have a retired friend that retired from upholstery business he owned. He is the same guy that did the headliner and visors in my girl's 1990 K2500. He still has a very small personal shop that he does upholstery on the side at and I go to him for anything like that. That of course would be "marked off" of the asking price, especially when the seller marks the condition as "excellent".

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just got back from inspection. Needs: Water pump-seeping/corrosive, coolant low and not as clean as should be, d/s rear exhaust manifold bolt head broke off, p/s fluid dirty, brake fluid dirty, transmission fluid full but dirty, oil drain plug seal leaking, both front axle seals leaking and slinging, front pads thick but rear thin, all tires had good tread but sidewalls scrubbed a little, you can assume that the front and rear diffs and the transfer case fluids have never been changed. One thing that stood out at the p/s front rear wheel well there was a red paint scrape that looked pretty fresh and still had red flakes of paint attached that easily dropped right off when wiped with hand. The vehicle was in a small cul-de-sac and across the street was a red Ford pickup that the owner was washing as we pulled up.
The good: Rest of body was great, idled at 40+ oil pressure, great interior, had 2207 engine hours, a/c was cold, and no rust at all. Drove out fine with good solid transmission shifts.
See pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

Trio

Gold member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Richard

Same here. Bugs the crap out of me, and this example is worse than others. They clearly show pics of all the other seats except drivers. If they are willing to deliberately hide that, what others things are hidden?

Last edited:

Trio

Gold member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got back from inspection. Needs: Water pump-seeping/corrosive, coolant low and not as clean as should be, d/s rear exhaust manifold bolt head broke off, p/s fluid dirty, brake fluid dirty, transmission fluid full but dirty, oil drain plug seal leaking, both front axle seals leaking and slinging, front pads thick but rear thin, all tires had good tread but sidewalls scrubbed a little, you can assume that the front and rear diffs and the transfer case fluids have never been changed. One thing that stood out at the p/s front rear wheel well there was a red paint scrape that looked pretty fresh and still had red flakes of paint attached that easily dropped right off when wiped with hand. The vehicle was in a small cul-de-sac and across the street was a red Ford pickup that the owner was washing as we pulled up.
The good: Rest of body was great, idled at 40+ oil pressure, great interior, had 2207 engine hours, a/c was cold, and no rust at all. Drove out fine with good solid transmission shifts.
See pics:

And? did you buy it?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
And? did you buy it?
I told him I would make an offer after looking up a few things. I have till 3 pm PST. 45 more minutes.

By the way, the driver's seat was pristine, just like the rest. I asked why he did not include in pics and he just shrugged. All seat controls work. He advertised no dents/scrapes/scratches and the one I found is a big one. I think a neighbor did it and did not tell him.

My thinking is this. The asking price was too high, right from the get go. $15k is too much of an ask. I am thinking a fair ask is $12k. I then find the leaks, water pump, broken exhaust manifold bolt, fluids need servicing and the tire sidewall scrapes and the body scrape that is pretty noticeable. With the needed repairs for the leaks and the fluid services and the body scrape, I need to tell him it is no longer an "excellent" shape listing at CL. Even at KBB, the high excellent value is at $8500.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I offered him $9k cash and he said no. The pics do not reflect the very recent scrape and his ad needs changed. He will sell to someone though, that does not check it as thoroughly as I did. I wished him good luck.