2006 Tahoe Z71-70k miles-Looking at today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yup I'm going with "the neighbor hit it and didn't tell anyone". Had that happen to the Burb in 2019 when we were living with my cousin in Katy. Lawn crew smacked the left side taillight and the left side mirror. I put it back together and taped the taillight up and we headed across town to get another taillight lens.
At least on an LS the water pump is not too difficult; neither is the rear brake pads replacement. Had to do both on the '06, and they were not hard jobs.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
He just texted me and said that other people had offered $10k to $13k and he turned them down. I told him that had to be before the new scrape and he should call them and accept an offer.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Besides the scrape - that's an awful lot of needs for a vehicle at that asking price, but more than that I'm surprised it needs that much for the claimed mileage. IMO it's been beat on or neglected, or someone has altered the mileage. I'd agree with your assessment it's worth less than $10K in current condition.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I believe the mileage is actual. The underneath looked pristine. The front diff axle seals are known for leaking and no one at Walmart tells him anything. They don't even change the oil drain plug seal. The water pump leak is because of age and lack of colling system maintenance. If someone does not look at it, like I did, they have a ticking bomb from lack of maintenance. I would always do all fluids anyway and like @HotWheelsBurban said, the water pump is easy. Biggest PITA is the front diff axle seals. The scrape is an eyesore but fixable.

someotherguy

Reaction score
Yup I'm going with "the neighbor hit it and didn't tell anyone". Had that happen to the Burb in 2019 when we were living with my cousin in Katy. Lawn crew smacked the left side taillight and the left side mirror. I put it back together and taped the taillight up and we headed across town to get another taillight lens.
At least on an LS the water pump is not too difficult; neither is the rear brake pads replacement. Had to do both on the '06, and they were not hard jobs.
Friggin' water pumps.. 10/21 the silver SS had a new coolant leak (one of MANY leaks it's developed over the years; I call that truck Ol' Drippy) so I dug into it, again.. and found the rear cover on the water pump leaking. It was a little surprising as it didn't have a ton of miles (115K) on just yet. So I ordered a Gates pump assembly (includes thermostat housing and thermostat already installed) and went to work. Got the old one off and discovered it was already a Gates, and probably not original. And from the box, that the Gates is Chinese (like everything now.)

Went to install the new one and thought, let me not trust China, I'll be sure the thermostat is in there, correct temperature, and gasket present etc. All good; no biggie. I carefully reinstalled the housing bolts and........ STRIPPED one of the bolt holes for it. I have to get the truck back on the road for her ASAP. Fortunately it's the outer bolt hole which goes through the casting to the back side. Soooo I go to the big hardware store and dig through their specialty plated stuff and find one long enough to go all the way through and I back it with a locknut. :confused:

Then I got to do the same job on the black SS 02/23.

Both trucks suffered collateral damage during the jobs - you can almost always expect one of the plastic "hose clamps" to give up the ghost while you're wrangling the spring clamps at the other end. Or, one of the spring clamps to lose tension. Or, one of the quick-connects to start leaking.......

Richard

Trio

Gold member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He just texted me and said that other people had offered $10k to $13k and he turned them down. I told him that had to be before the new scrape and he should call them and accept an offer.

He's bluffing; he's got a pair of 2s at best. ;) The fact that he texted you back with rejected "offers" tells me a few things:

- while others may have texted him with "offers" (typical CL), you're the only one that showed up in person and looked at the truck
- you are his only legitimate lead
- he will take 10k tomorrow or Tuesday from you; put him on ice.

Trio

Gold member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The neighbor incident reminds me of my story:

I lived on some acreage and noticed one morning when leaving the house, a section of my rail fence was obliterated out by the road. Pieces all over my field. When I get out of my truck to walk the field to take a closer look, I could see a set of tire tracks winding through the field from the hole in the fence, connect to my driveway, and back to the road. On even closer inspection, I find pieces and shards of faded red plastic and what appears to be fiberglass. Interestingly, I recalled seeing an older red Corvette parked in front of the neighbors ramshackle house across the road the night before. That morning, the Corvette was gone.

I walked up to the road through the hole in my fence line, and sure enough, I see two black lines of burn-out on the asphalt. Even funnier, they started from someone reversing out of the neighbors driveway, then clearly was shifted out of reverse into drive. The lines stayed straight for about 20 feet, then major fishtailing ensued. Fishtail marks continued until the tracks left the pavement headed straight for the hole in my fence line. Hmmm, doesn't even take Columbo to figure this one out.

I go to my truck and take out a piece of paper and write my phone number on it. And then calmly walk over to the neighbors house. Knock on the door, and fat shirtless redneck answers the door and acts surprised. I ask if he has a friend with a red corvette. Sure does. I hold up a piece of red plastic and point to the obliterated fence across the road. I say "your buddy owes me a repair job on that fence." He claims NO WAY that was his friend.

I hand him my phone number and say we have two choices. I call the sheriff and let them take over my investigation - they would have the case solved by noon, and likely would be questioning your friend about DUI, leaving the scene, reckless driving, etc. Or option 2, you could just have your friend call me and commit to fixing my fence by weeks end - like it never happened. Painted fence and all. I then walk back to my truck.

Not surprising, my phone rings within 5 minutes, with some stranger on the other end profusely apologizing and committing to fixing my fence good as new. By weeks end, the fence was repaired as promised.

The end...:rotflmao:

someotherguy

Reaction score
Yeah.. when I get better offers, I can't imagine even thinking about contacting someone that gave me a lower one. Talk about telegraphing your punches.

When I was looking at a nearly identical pair of low-mile 300 SRT8's for nearly the same price, one guy started playing the ghost buyer game with me. I'd talked on the phone extensively with both sellers - both were out of state so it wasn't just a simple "go on over and make the deal" scenario, it was "book a flight" - so when the one I really wanted started telling me about how someone else was willing to pay more, I instantly dropped it and told the other guy I was ready to fly out. I also told him exactly what was going on with the other seller, so he'd know I was dealing straight with him and expected the same in return. So in the end I did book the flight, inspected the second car, and we went to the local branch of my bank where I got a check for the pre-agreed price. Done deal. I hate game players. ESPECIALLY when we're talking significant dollar amounts involved.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, I knew that something was fishy when he said "others" have offered him $10k to $13k and I told him then that was before the big scrape, especially after his CL ad specifically says no scrapes. When I originally texted him my offer of $9k, I typed in $9500 but changed to $9000. The previous offers have likely moved on, if they were ever offers. I shall see. The ad was up 3 days before I looked. If someone did show up to look at it, they never did it like I did because he asked my girl several times what I was doing. I plugged in under the dash and he was nervous about that. Then I checked charging with my DVOM. Then I checked engine temp with a gun. Then I did set out the ramps and he knew I was gonna do that but looked concerned when I pulled on my shop coveralls. I crawled all the way under and he poked his head in from both sides and the front. I took pics and showed him what I saw. Basically, I tore apart his "excellent condition" and it freaked him a bit.