2000 C2500 Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you either need to create a data log and have a custom tune created or better get an in person tune either while driving or using a chassis dyno. There is no plug and play option for tuning these.
That makes sense.
Have you reached out to Black Bear?
Unfortunately I live too far away for them to do an in person tune. Maybe I could do the scan cable option and have them adjust it. But not really looking forward to mailing things back and forth several times.

I should've thought this through a little more before buying a PCM. Hopefully I can find someone local to tune it or eventually buy the equipment and learn to do it myself

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 2001, 2005, and 2012 trucks blackbear did thier auto cal tune which is a data log that you upload onto a box and email them and then they use the data to create the base tune and email you back. Then you do another data log and they keep fine tuning it. Once I got to my third refinement they were all spot on as it takes some trial and error.Call them and ask if they can do that for your truck.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe the mail order tune I got is not accurate enough.

This is my gut feeling. I think you'd be best off finding a local performance shop with a dyno to do some tuning for you in person. Shouldn't be too terribly hard considering your truck is a 2000. Your PCM is supported by HPTuners or EFILive so anyone that works with either of those should be able to help.

Also just FYI, Black Bear doesn't offer in-person or AutoCal tuning for these trucks unless they've been swapped to the newer 0411 style PCMs. If you're running the factory black box, it's standard mail order tunes only.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do you get the email file into the computer? Did you have to ship the PCM back each time so they could reprogram it?
No need to ship anything back and forth. They mail you the programmed box, you data log to the box then email them that data and they email back a tune. Then you upload the tune to the box and then onto the truck. I’m just not sure if they offer this for the older trucks. I use the same box for 4 of my trucks.

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need to ship anything back and forth. They mail you the programmed box, you data log to the box then email them that data and they email back a tune. Then you upload the tune to the box and then onto the truck. I use the same box for 4 of my trucks.
Oh, I see. Seems expensive though since I'd only be using it for one vehicle.

Also just FYI, Black Bear doesn't offer in-person or AutoCal tuning for these trucks unless they've been swapped to the newer 0411 style PCMs. If you're running the factory black box, it's standard mail order tunes only.
I’m just not sure if they offer this for the older trucks.
That's unfortunate. I don't plan on switching to a 411 anytime soon. I'll see what I can find nearby.

Thank you

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My truck had been wrecked in the front at some point before I got it. Whoever replaced the core support and put the condenser back really screwed it up. Maybe the condenser threads were standard and the lines metric.

This fitting is tight but the pipe wobbles inside it. O-ring is still present. Backup hex is trashed.

Threads are stripped.

This one is even better. Crooked, cross threaded, rounded...

...stripped and dirty, too. That same gunk around the threads was in the pipe as well. Tried to take the orifice tube out to look at it but it broke off in there. Both ends inside the condenser were unclean.

Needless to say, there was no gas in it and no way it would've held it. Luckily I noticed this shortly after I got the truck and never wasted time trying to recharge it before fixing this. On a positive note, since it wouldn't have held gas anyway the compressor hasn't run and circulated all the debris through the system.

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Everything removed. The lines at the evaporator core looked pretty clean still. I flushed and dried it in hopes it can be reused, because I'd rather not pull the dash apart.

All new parts oiled and installed. Got everything from Rockauto. I used the Four Seasons "upgraded" 10 cylinder compressor and filed the accessory bracket a little so it sits flat. Also got a new switch for the back of the compressor. Old one was blue, but apparently there is a green and a white one that both say they replace blue. I picked the wrong one, wouldn't fit the wiring harness. Had to get the right one from a parts store.

Pulled about 29.5" vacuum for a couple hours and let it sit overnight. No leaks. Charged it up and added some dye.

Works good now, getting a little under 40 degrees out the vents in 90+ ambient temperature. Compressor is quiet and engine doesn't seem to lose much power running it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good find!

When I deployed in 2010 we had an ACE (large trailer-mounted A/C for cooling the avionics on JSTARS and AWACS) that would only hold refrigerant for a day or two. The morons before us dumped 70 pounds of refrigerant into it every few days. It came due for its semi-annual inspection and my buddy got tasked with it. He was looking at the refrigerant lines, and the main refrigerant line to the compressor looked funny. He took the time to investigate, and somebody cross-threaded the 2" fitting all the way down. WTF? Luckily when he took it loose he was able to put a new o-ring on it and it threaded back down straight.