2000 7.4 mysterious misfire/ dead cylinder 4/ p0174

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Update!

Got the spark plug threads out using a #4 square(?) extractor (pic 1) and a 4lb hammer to tap it in. I did not update y’all when I tried to start it and it would crank but not start (weak battery but even once it was on jumpers it wouldn’t try to start). Listened for a fuel pump prime but no dice.

Figured oh well, I saved myself at least $250 by getting the threads out without taking off the head, a fuel pump is a fair trade. Got the new one in, still nothing. By pure luck, my girlfriend’s grandpa happened to notice the “black” connection on the ECM was loose (pic 2). Finagled that and it primed. Turned the key and it fired right up.

have since driven ~9 miles mainly city speeds and no hiccups whatsoever. Hoping to get it aligned and the oil and coolant changed and will update. Thanks to all who’ve pitched in advice and ideas

ps, sorry i couldn’t get a family photo, i messed up my work area stepping down from the truck and plugs went every which way, however plug #4 was the only one that stood out as it still had gas on the threads

Attachments

• IMG_8390.jpeg
    IMG_8390.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8398.jpeg
    IMG_8398.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 10