Window won't go up, is it stuck too far down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Had the passenger window stop working in my 91 RCSB forever ago. Took it in and it was the switch. But they never installed the switch. The mechanic was a buddy of mine and didn't wanna charge me for installing the switch. So set the box with new switch on my seat. I literally took it out of the box and clicked it in.
Took longer to write this, but didn't get the 15min charge to install it.

Anyway, ran into him a little while later and asked how he got the window up. Said he just jumped the pins where the switch goes.

So I guess if you pop your switch out, find out which has the power and what pin to put the power too, if it goes up or down it's the switch, if not, it's the motor.
It's a lot easier on 88-94* than on 95-up. Your truck has individual switches, where 95-up driver door has a group of switches with a single connector; you'd have to look up the wiring diagram first.

*of course 92-94 SUV's have a similar group of switches arrangement although a different design.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Update: went out today and swapped out the master switch in the door. That fixed the window operation, and it goes up and down like it's supposed to! Thankfully we haven't had any rain the last couple days, so hanging a rain poncho over the top of the door was sufficient protection overnight.
Oh, and the power locks still don't work, so that switch wasn't the issue there. I can hear the circuit breaker clicking under the dash when I rock the lock switch, so where to go from there?
Thanks to all for your assistance!

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's odd....can't imagine such a problem... I turn the crank and it goes down, turn it the other way and it goes up. Infinitely adjustable too, right down to the millimeter if you want to measure that close. These newfangled trucks with all those fancy electronics may not be worth the money after all. Ducking and running now!

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Update: went out today and swapped out the master switch in the door. That fixed the window operation, and it goes up and down like it's supposed to! Thankfully we haven't had any rain the last couple days, so hanging a rain poncho over the top of the door was sufficient protection overnight.
Oh, and the power locks still don't work, so that switch wasn't the issue there. I can hear the circuit breaker clicking under the dash when I rock the lock switch, so where to go from there?
Thanks to all for your assistance!
The circuit breaker, or the relays? Cuz if the circuit breaker is blowing, that's a dead short lol. Problem in the wiring. I would check the connector at the lock motors in the doors to see if power is even getting to them.

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another reason a window may not go back up. The rear door sash has completely rotted out in a door with otherwise no rust. What a pain. I can find rear regulators/motors in good shape used, but I've got to scrounge carcasses to find and remove a good sash as there are no third party/used options out there. Working inside rear doors just sux. Also, you can see that crossbar with the rubber pad in this pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
The circuit breaker, or the relays? Cuz if the circuit breaker is blowing, that's a dead short lol. Problem in the wiring. I would check the connector at the lock motors in the doors to see if power is even getting to them.
I can hear clicking, just figured it was the circuit breaker....what else could it be?

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
That's odd....can't imagine such a problem... I turn the crank and it goes down, turn it the other way and it goes up. Infinitely adjustable too, right down to the millimeter if you want to measure that close. These newfangled trucks with all those fancy electronics may not be worth the money after all. Ducking and running now!
Our first square body Burb we drove much(2 older than it were mainly projects)was the '79, and it had power window in the tailgate but crank ones in the doors. Much less problematic (though I haven't had many problems with the PW in the recent trucks) but harder to get up or down quickly when there's not 4 people in the Burb. And that one never had AC so the windows were up only when it was parked or when it was cold.
The 84 and 90 Burbs both had PW but the 84 was the only one that had a problem. Coming home from a swap meet in Waco, Texas, the passenger rear door wouldn't go all the way up, so we had to rig a tarp over it. Started raining, and our merch was getting wet....

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
I believe on 95/96-up there's a relay for the locks located somewhere near the steering column bracket under the dash. When I was building my buddy Dan's C3500 it came to me with inop power locks. I swapped the dash and whole interior, and while I was at it I tried to troubleshoot his locks and gave up just due to time constraints and at the time, no ready access to wiring diagrams for that year (this was 18 years ago now, jeez) - I was planning to just do it as a favor while I had his interior torn apart for the swap, as he wasn't really concerned about it.

His "clicked" too. It sounded like it was above the steering column bracket. Feel around up there or use a stethoscope and you might locate the source of it, or also it may be detailed in the factory service manual. And, that particular bit of info may or may not be useful, lol..

Richard

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Suburbans all have the relay pack, as well as trucks with four doors and/or keyless entry. Only the basic power locks two door trucks didn't have this relay module. And yes, it's in the vicinity of the steering column support bracket.

Last edited: