Window won't go up, is it stuck too far down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Suburbans all have the relay pack, as well as trucks with four doors and/or keyless entry. Only the basic power locks two door trucks didn't have this relay module. And yes, it's in the vicinity of the steering column support bracket.
Thanks guys, I'll look into it on Saturday (next day off!).

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe on 95/96-up there's a relay for the locks located somewhere near the steering column bracket under the dash. When I was building my buddy Dan's C3500 it came to me with inop power locks. I swapped the dash and whole interior, and while I was at it I tried to troubleshoot his locks and gave up just due to time constraints and at the time, no ready access to wiring diagrams for that year (this was 18 years ago now, jeez) - I was planning to just do it as a favor while I had his interior torn apart for the swap, as he wasn't really concerned about it.

His "clicked" too. It sounded like it was above the steering column bracket. Feel around up there or use a stethoscope and you might locate the source of it, or also it may be detailed in the factory service manual. And, that particular bit of info may or may not be useful, lol..

Richard
I didn't see any relays by the columns of my 95 or 99 when I had the dashes out. I think but have not confirmed the relay you are thinking of is in the convenience center on the firewall. The power locks don't work on my 99 and my 95's are interment. When it cools off next week that is a project to get done.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I didn't see any relays by the columns of my 95 or 99 when I had the dashes out. I think but have not confirmed the relay you are thinking of is in the convenience center on the firewall. The power locks don't work on my 99 and my 95's are interment. When it cools off next week that is a project to get done.
The only relays at the convenience center are for the DRLs and Fog lights if you have those. And the flasher unit. That's it. The door lock relay module is a little box with TWO relays in it and a six-pin wire connector. I wanna say it may be taped up to the wiring harness itself like the DRL module is.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
The only relays at the convenience center are for the DRLs and Fog lights if you have those. And the flasher unit. That's it. The door lock relay module is a little box with TWO relays in it and a six-pin wire connector. I wanna say it may be taped up to the wiring harness itself like the DRL module is.
Okay cool I'll look for that tomorrow. I'm off so lots of projects: organization, laundry, truck stuff, trailer stuff.....

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That good to know. I guess I was just looking for traditional looking relays. I know I have stuff in my 99's dash that I didnt know what they are. I knew one was VATS and the other the DRL.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I poked around in the '99 FSM, and found a Component location illustration for the
Door Lock Relay Box. Hopefully this helps by adding a visual to AK49BWL's reply:

You must be registered for see images attach

Disclaimer: I know that you are working on a '97. Hopefully this was unchanged from '96-forward?

Hope this helps. I for one would be interested in a real world photo when you track this relay down.

Good luck with the fix --

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I poked around in the '99 FSM, and found a Component location illustration for the
Door Lock Relay Box. Hopefully this helps by adding a visual to AK49BWL's reply:

You must be registered for see images attach

Disclaimer: I know that you are working on a '97. Hopefully this was unchanged from '96-forward?

Hope this helps. I for one would be interested in a real world photo when you track this relay down.

Good luck with the fix --
Thanks for this! If I can get to it, I'll get a picture.