Window won't go up, is it stuck too far down?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
97 C3500 crew cab, last night the driver's door power window went down normally but won't go back up. We think it's the switch, and I have another switch to put in (driver's door on a Silverado so it has 4 window switches and the power lock switch). Is it possible for the window to go too far down? We used to have that problem periodically on our '82 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon, but haven't had it on any of the trucks (yet?).

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
never knew a window could go too far down unless there was a problem with the track or regulator do the rest of the windows and the power locks still work on the master switch you are most likely right that the master switch has failed any way I would put the other master switch in that you have and see if that fixes it hopefully it will

Last edited:

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a cross bar with a rubber pad on it that the sash hits at full down. You can peek inside the door via the vent at the back and make sure the gears aren't spinning. I had one recently that went down and wouldn't go back up. It was due to the three screws that held the motor to the regulator. One had backed all the way out and the motor pulled away enough that the gears lost contact. But I could hear it spinning when I hit the switch. I assume you have no sound when you hit the switch and all other windows are operating normally?

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
There's a cross bar with a rubber pad on it that the sash hits at full down. You can peek inside the door via the vent at the back and make sure the gears aren't spinning. I had one recently that went down and wouldn't go back up. It was due to the three screws that held the motor to the regulator. One had backed all the way out and the motor pulled away enough that the gears lost contact. But I could hear it spinning when I hit the switch. I assume you have no sound when you hit the switch and all other windows are operating normally?
Yes the other 3 windows work fine off their switch or the master. And no motor sound from the drivers door. The vent grille is out, so I'll look into the hole and see what it looks like. I have a new grille, just haven't replaced it yet.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
My Blazer had a window motor failure. Had to take the motor apart so I could get the window back up. Ended up fixing the motor, and at the same time permanently disabled the auto-down feature of the window switch that caused the motor failure.
How do you disable the auto down? I might be interested in that, we rarely have the windows all the way down unless we're sitting somewhere for a while.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Cut the traces to the relay on the auto-down board inside the switch body. I'll see if I can get a pic later on.

That'll be handy in the GMT-400 knowledge arsenal. I've always hated the auto-down. I'll put the window down just long enough for it to kick in, then I have to bump it back up to where I wanted it. It's irritating. The system where the switch is a two stage mechanism is much better, meaning the switch halfway runs window while being held, switch on full is auto-down.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had the passenger window stop working in my 91 RCSB forever ago. Took it in and it was the switch. But they never installed the switch. The mechanic was a buddy of mine and didn't wanna charge me for installing the switch. So set the box with new switch on my seat. I literally took it out of the box and clicked it in.
Took longer to write this, but didn't get the 15min charge to install it.

Anyway, ran into him a little while later and asked how he got the window up. Said he just jumped the pins where the switch goes.

So I guess if you pop your switch out, find out which has the power and what pin to put the power too, if it goes up or down it's the switch, if not, it's the motor.