will the older style dipsticks work? (chrome ones)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I been ordering some underhood chrome for my 88, and was wondering if the old cheapo dipsticks for like 79 and older vehicles would work? I don't see anything like 86 and up or older, so I guess dipsticks it doesn't matter? Only difference I can think of is mine goes in and bolts to the head, the old style just gets drove in and done.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hhhmm why not? I mean they don't have to be the ones for ds maybe 80 and up ps sticks?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can verify that it won't work, the mount tab will face away from the engine instead of towards it and the bend won't be right, and there are several places that sell a passenger side chrome dipstick, or you could get a lokar braided type.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, lokar is like a 4 letter word when you have a budget lol. I'm sure they do, but for their prices I'll stick with what I got or get cheap and paint it chrome LOL.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well my only concern was it fitting into the block, not leaking at point of entry and reading at least, if it read wrong I can change that. I could care less how far up out of the block it sticks or what way it's bent. I got my factory one in it and it works fine, just was looking at the cheap chrome ones. The one in dad's truck only has a slight bend in it and only comes to the bttom of the valve cover basically. it may be a bit harder to get to, but I dont mind.

I was just thinking they would not fit the hole or seal. I was also told the stick was too short to reach down in there, but I don't know. Summit has some for 80-82's and some for motors up to 86. I don't feel like buying one to take a chance though.