Why everyone carb swapping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never had my hands on one of those Jetronic systems but I did have the unfortunate opportunity to work on its earlier version, the fully mechanical CIS system in a VW Rabbit. I got the thing back up and running once I figured out the thermal regulator had gone bad but just never really got it dialed in. After F'in with it a couple days I sent it down the road!
Pretty sure that CIS (continual injection system) was K (konstant) Jetronic. If it had the big plate that swung downwards with increasing airflow - that's K-Jetronic.

L-Jetronic came later and it is the constant pressure (WRT MAP) variable injector duration system that pretty much endures until now.

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
The only thing better than one TBI for me would be three on the same manifold. There is something sexy about three deuces sitting on top of a motor.
you need to I think it could be done some guy on youtube did some thing like with a dodge 5.9 magnum only thing different is they are mpfi but the guy had modified the that kegger intake to use 3 thottle bodies do not know if it ever got finished or not I will have to find the videos again

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that CIS (continual injection system) was K (konstant) Jetronic. If it had the big plate that swung downwards with increasing airflow - that's K-Jetronic.

L-Jetronic came later and it is the constant pressure (WRT MAP) variable injector duration system that pretty much endures until now.
Big plate that lifted upwards. I was in a junk yard and found one of those air plates/boxes, somebody had already snatched the fuel distributor. I held on to it for years thinking maybe I'd make a flow meter to test the results of ported heads. Yeah, can't keep it all forever!

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
The only thing better than one TBI for me would be three on the same manifold. There is something sexy about three deuces sitting on top of a motor.

you need to I think it could be done some guy on youtube did some thing like with a dodge 5.9 magnum only thing different is they are mpfi but the guy had modified the that kegger intake to use 3 thottle bodies do not know if it ever got finished or not I will have to find the videos again
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was here once, asking about carb swaps. Was told how dumb it was and how only idiots and people that can't tune their ECM would do something like that - Along with the other immature BS that is also in this thread.

I stuck with the OEM vortec efi. Replaced every sensor, the motor, injectors, had blackbear tuning my ecm's, etc.. Most of that trucks electrical and mechanical systems were replaced. That truck failed me twice while far away from home, camper in tow, wife and dogs... One of those times, I had to pull a gun to keep us safe.

The vortec efi system is just too sensitive to be totally reliable, especially with China in charge now. If you spend time here following the main posters - they are constantly working to fix their junk. Half the time it doesn't even run.

If I had listened to my gut and carb swapped (instead of listening to the internet experts), I'd have been able to make that truck run no matter what, no matter where I was.

Funny end to the story - I took that vortec 350 out of the truck, put it in an old Buick, carb swapped. Now I drive the hell out of that car. It is fun as hell. Nothing special, just fun and reliable.

Follow your gut.

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was here once, asking about carb swaps. Was told how dumb it was and how only idiots and people that can't tune their ECM would do something like that - Along with the other immature BS that is also in this thread.

I stuck with the OEM vortec efi. Replaced every sensor, the motor, injectors, had blackbear tuning my ecm's, etc.. Most of that trucks electrical and mechanical systems were replaced. That truck failed me twice while far away from home, camper in tow, wife and dogs... One of those times, I had to pull a gun to keep us safe.

The vortec efi system is just too sensitive to be totally reliable, especially with China in charge now. If you spend time here following the main posters - they are constantly working to fix their junk. Half the time it doesn't even run.

If I had listened to my gut and carb swapped (instead of listening to the internet experts), I'd have been able to make that truck run no matter what, no matter where I was.

Funny end to the story - I took that vortec 350 out of the truck, put it in an old Buick, carb swapped. Now I drive the hell out of that car. It is fun as hell. Nothing special, just fun and reliable.

Follow your gut.
I've had three EFI system in my life. First was an '85 Ranger with a 140 and MPFI it had an excess of 500,000 miles on it when the floorboards fell out,never an issue with the fuel system. Second was an '86 Monte Carlo LS 262 TBI. Pretty close to 425,000 when I retired it with a worn out engine and front end. TBI worked great and never an issue. Then there is ol Smoky,the '91 1/2 ton I have now with a tired 305 and TBI. It's a spring chicken with only 275,000 miles on it. Fuel injection works good on it too. Do you see the pattern here? They were all basic OBD1 EFI systems before the EPA started turning the screws on the automakers and Detroit had to cut corners and build components out of plastic and outsource labor to third world country's. I've turned wrenches a loooong time. The first major decline in quality was 1972, then 1980 then again in the mid 90's.
What's good about carbs is they're tried and true technology dating back to the birth of automobiles, pretty hard to beat 100 years of R&D. What happened to you is you believed what these so called modern experts told you in that carbs are junk and EFI is the only way to go. Hand them a set of points and a condenser and they have no idea what to do with them. Another thing that bit you was trying to mail order a tune for your vehicle. It CANNOT be done! Whether it be a carb or EFI it has to be tuned in real time either out on the hard road or on a rolling road(dyno).
I LOVE carbs, well most of them! But now I'm learning the benefits of EFI and how to tune them. Guess I'm getting old and lazy and just want to turn the key and let the computer do the work.