1992 TBI 454 4L80E. Idle hunts in Park/Neutral but is smooth in drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheyennek1500

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I have been chasing down a idle hunting problem recently. My issue is that in park/neutral the engine idle will hunt for the a stable engine speed. This happens after the engine warms up. When I shift into drive the engine speed stabilizes. The AFR in drive is rich around 11. The AFR in park/neutral goes lean and then it catches itself and goes to stiochiometric as I can see on a wideband o2 sensor I installed. I recorded both events with TunerPro RT which is attached in the Zip file. I would appreciate some guidance of how to solve this issue. Thanks!
Vehicle Details:1992 K2500 454 TBI 4L80E (All Stock)
Fuel Pressure: 26 PSI
Base Timing: 4 BTDC
New and checked parts:
-O2 Sensor
-IAC Valve
-TPS
-CTS
-MAP Sensor
-Distributor
-Exhaust Manifolds and Y-pipe
-Fuel Pressure Regulator
-Fuel Pump and lines
-Fuel Injectors
-EGR Solenoid

Attachments

• Excel Files.zip
    473 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Wolvrine82

Reaction score
When you replaced the IAC, did you clean the passage in the throttle body? They can become clogged with carbon and affect idle. Did you replace the EGR valve/verify operation? If the valve is not working correctly it will affect idle. Have you replaced the fuel filter? What about the usual tune-up items? Do you have the service manuals? If not, they are available for free download as a sticky on this website under Forums/Engine Performance and Maintenance. There is a pretty good section on diagnosing poor idle.

Cheyennek1500

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions! The EGR is functional. The fuel filter was replaced with the fuel lines. I do have the service manuals too. I did not clean the passage for IAC I will check that.

UPDATE: My fuel pressure was too high at 26PSI for a 1992 TBI. I replaced the regulator and am at 11 PSI. My IAC counts are now 14-15 in park. I still have a fluctuation in engine speed of ~100RPM. New data files attached.

Attachments

• 10PSI, Warm, IAC Reset - Copy.zip
    213.7 KB · Views: 2

Cheyennek1500

Reaction score
I have not touched the idle screw and it is not suppose to have the vacuum throttle kicker.

I have done a lot of data logging and it looks like my MAP voltage in park/neutral is low (~.88/.90 volts) it is suppose to be 1-2V at idle. When I am in gear the MAP sensor voltage is within spec (~1.25 volts). I checked the sensor reading at barometric pressure and it reads 85kpa which is accurate for where I am in Colorado. I even created vacuum leaks by pulling the brake booster hose and the MAP voltage increased above 1 volt. I do no think I have a vacuum leak because of this.

My wideband O2 sensors also read lean (~16) when in park/neutral but in gear (~14.5).

From this I think I am chasing a high vacuum/lean issue. This seems counterintuitive. Thoughts?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not touched the idle screw
Excellent.

and it is not suppose to have the vacuum throttle kicker.
Also, good.

I have done a lot of data logging and it looks like my MAP voltage in park/neutral is low (~.88/.90 volts) it is suppose to be 1-2V at idle. When I am in gear the MAP sensor voltage is within spec (~1.25 volts).
Easier for me to think about this in terms of actual pressure, not voltage.
IF (big IF) this chart is accurate for your MAP sensor:
www.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/08/c6/ae/large/0900c1528008c6ae.gif
You must be registered for see images attach

Your idle pressure is low, meaning high vacuum.

I checked the sensor reading at barometric pressure and it reads 85kpa which is accurate for where I am in Colorado.
Fairly high altitude, I guess.

I even created vacuum leaks by pulling the brake booster hose and the MAP voltage increased above 1 volt. I do no think I have a vacuum leak because of this.
Open a huge vacuum leak, manifold pressure should go WAY up, leading to much higher MAP voltage. 3+ volts not "above 1 volt".

My wideband O2 sensors also read lean (~16) when in park/neutral but in gear (~14.5).
What is the narrow-band O2 sensor--the one the computer is reading--showing for voltage and cross-counts?