Why everyone carb swapping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amsterdamned96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like to see more builds of the Ramjet intake. I have one I bought years ago, sold the ECM n wiring. But don't see why I couldn't modify the factory L31 wiring to make it work using a 0411 ECM.....
I'm re-assembling one right now with an rv cam and I intend to use the original Accel ecu as well got some newer 36lbs/hr EV-6 injectors, two 45 psi inline pumps, headers, 1000cfm tunnel ram. People are questioning whether or not the peanut-port heads will do the aftermarket intake any justice, as mentioned by someone else in the thread they might not rev high enough with a stock-LSA cam. Also the peanut-heads were designed with port velocity in mind, I'm not sure how to ample airflow will affect airspeeds.
Needless to say there are people who value these systems despite their intricacies, i've had countless shade-trees tell me to put a double carb on this 462 but despite all the wiring that I'll have to repair and the obsolete nature of the ACCEL system I'm still incredibly excited to run it.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The guy has some valid points but he was comparing the T-quad to the old design Q-jet. They made major improvements to the Q-jet in the mid to late 70's. Better boosters,secondary air bleeds to better mix the secondary fuel and the primary's were adjustable through a hole in the top of the carb. If you blow that picture up of the carb on my 355 you will see the edge of an 1/8" pipe plug under the air breather gasket. The carb came from the factory with an aluminum plug driven into that hole. When I set these carbs up I tap the hole with an 1/8" pipe tap and put those plugs in so when tight they sit flush with the top of the carb. I change the special adjuster screw with a flathead phillips screw. I carry a special tool that I made in my glovebox that has a allen wrench on one end and a phillips screwdriver on the other. I can pull over, pop the breather off, break out my little too, back the plug out, turn the tool over and make an adjustment then put it all back without even shutting the motor off. It took me longer to type all this than it does to adjust primary fuel mixture. Adjusting the secondary's is just how he explains it but I don't recommend doing that with the motor running.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The later design Q-jet has an aneroid cavity that has a plastic bowl that sits down into it. Fuel goes around that bowl, not into it. Taking that plastic bowl out doubles the float bowl volume. There are high flow float valve seats that keep fuel flowing into the carb under hard demand. I have never seen the float bowl in a Q-jet go dry with a good fuel pump. I did have a problem with that carb once with it consistently flooding over and it turned out to be a brand new fuel pump that was putting out 11psi. 5psi is absolute max for a Q-jet. They need flow, not pressure. These TBI pumps with a return type regulator set at 3-4psi are the cats @ss for feeding a Q-jet.