Why everyone carb swapping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think any carbed engine could pass Commiefornicate's emissions standards for HC and NOx and still beat an EFI in every day driving. ;)
A guy got a ticket last week in CA for “Liquid Litter”, once known as blowing bubbles. At least you can steal up to $950.00 worth of merchandise and not be charged. We’re making progress.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even small engines are getting away from carbs. Generators especially are now coming with EFI on them. Small engine + carb + ethanol = trouble.

The old flathead briggs on my rotortiller is getting tired and I am actually considering putting a Yanmar diesel clone on it. I briefly looked at and considered a new tiller, the newer ones are thinly constructed lightweight JUNK that cost 2-3x what they should. Even if that Yanmar clone only last 3-4 years it would be worth it. The diesel would rectify several problems at once. The fresh engine, the storage issue with ethanol fuel, and would likely generate some additional soil turning low speed torque compared to the 5 hp briggs I bet a 3.5 hp Yanmar clone would work just as effectively.
Would you have to change the drive ratio to get the tines to spin up or does the Yanmar run 3600? Let me know if you want to part with that 'ol flathead. I still have to first put-put minibike(bad penny)I learned to ride on and it needs a new motor.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Q-Jet runs good, but it is definitely not running circles around EFI. I have a dual plane MPFI manifold with a 1,000 cfm throttle body on it. It would give a Q-Jet a run for its money for peak power and likely win out on average torque and a 1/4 mile run. Just controlling the ignition timing via computer can add a good bit of torque throughout the curve. That is ignoring the EFIs fueling advantage of being able to optimize the AFR in every cylinder. Another big advantage at idle and low loads is being able to delay the injection of fuel until the exhaust valve is either closed or close to closed on split overlap. This greatly reduces the amount of fuel wasted that would otherwise be pulled into the exhaust.
There you no, popping my ballon. No I don't imagine a Q-jet would keep up with that but two of them may have a fighting chance.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think any carbed engine could pass Commiefornicate's emissions standards for HC and NOx and still beat an EFI in every day driving. ;)
That's OK. I have absolutely no reason to ever cross that state line. I prefer the home of the brave and the land of the free.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would you have to change the drive ratio to get the tines to spin up or does the Yanmar run 3600? Let me know if you want to part with that 'ol flathead. I still have to first put-put minibike(bad penny)I learned to ride on and it needs a new motor.
I have one of the old Vibration Tachometers for those and where I usually ran the Briggs is around 2,800 rpm. IIRC the Yanmar can run 3,600 too.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have watched the videos in order. In the first vid where they're doing the initial fire up first thing they screwed up not getting the static timing right. Then I got a good view of the intake. That square shelf right under the secondary's are going to kill any airflow they thought they were going to get with that rig. When I watched the second vid(first) I really thought it would tach up quicker than that. My 355 with a single Q-jet will instantly run the rods out if you try to dump the secondary's with no load on it. I screwed up once and went from drive into neutral and I wouldn't doubt that thing hit 8000 before I could get my foot off the pedal.