What Should I Do

What Engine Should I Run (please read post first)

• Stock LQ9 With Headers and tune

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • ZZ4/Stock LT4 Cammed 350 Vortec

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
LQ9, 345hp/380ft.lbs. (before a tune and headers) 10.4:1 compression, weighing 65lbs lighter than an all iron 5.7L. My vote is for the LQ9 or even and LQ4 for that matter but they're getting scarce around here and everyone treats them like gold, cheapest one went for $1100 and that is a steal anymore.

Alberta should start shipping engines I would guess then. LQ9's are 10:1 compression, not 10.4 and the LQ4 is 9.4:1 btw. Same engine as an LQ4 other than flat top pistons. Block and head casting numbers are identical. LQ9's all have the heavy duty LS2 style connecting rod however whereas only later LQ4's ( 2005 and up for sure) have the better rod. LQ4's are super common here based upon the fact that the various industries and service providers here run fleets of gas engine GM 3/4 ton trucks making wrecking yard availability high. They aren't super cheap, but nothing really is.

Here is the LQ9's specs for anyone that cares:

LQ9 6.0L TECH SPECS:
Part Number: 19156262
Engine type: LS Series V-8
Displacement (cu in): 364 (6.0L)
Bore x stroke (mm): 101.6 x 92
Block (P/N 12572808): Cast iron with 6-bolt, cross-bolted main caps
Crankshaft (P/N 12569768): Nodular iron
Connecting rods (P/N 12567583): Powdered metal steel
Pistons (P/N 89017478): Cast aluminum
Camshaft type (P/N 12561721): Hydraulic roller
Camshaft lift (in): .467 intake / .479 exhaust
Camshaft duration (@.050 in): 196'c1 intake / 201'c1 exhaust
Cylinder heads (P/N 12562319): Aluminum, symmetrical port
Valve size (in): 2.00 intake / 1.55 exhaust
Compression ratio: 10:1
Rocker Arms (P/N 10214664): Investment cast, roller trunnion
Rocker arm ratio: 1.7:1
Recommended fuel: 92 octane
Maximum rpm: 5600
Reluctor wheel: 24X

I vote the Vortec 350 however for simplicity sake and the fact you already have it. If you needed to search out an engine, LS swap indefinetely.

Last edited:

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If i was to sell the ultra low milleage vortec 350 how much would it be worth it has and bottom intake and new complete distributor
and about how much would the Core 5.7 and 4L60e out of the truck currently be worth
also about how much do complete Lq9/Lq4 with decent miles sell for
i even consider a 5.3 for the right price

Last edited:

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If i was to sell the ultra low milleage vortec 350 how much do you it would be worth it has and bottom intake and new complete distributor and the Core 5.7 and 4L60e for
also about how much do complete Lq9/Lq4 with decent miles sell for
i even consider a 5.3 for the right price

I have trouble selling engines personally as really people seem leary to buy anything they can't see run from a private individual. That said probably a $1000 for a complete low mile long block. It's not unreasonable, at least here.

I was dealing on a LQ9 in Ontario at a wrecker with 27000 miles on it and he was looking for $1450 US out of it. It is missing the accessories ( as is the one I bought otherwise) but is also missing an exhaust manifold and some of the accessory brackets as well. Not that a manifold matters if you want headers anyhow, and the brackets aren't tough to find. No computer but the engine wiring harness seemed complete. I would have bought the one in Ontario but by the time I paid for shipping it would have cost me the same as the one I bought locally. That and these guys will warrant the engine for 6 months no matter what I install it in, which is kind of nice I guess.

I wouldn't see why selling what you have wouldn't cover an LS engine, but most likely not the transmission as well. You can use your 4L60E to if you want to, but it won't last long behind a decent running 6 liter. Then there is the time and essentials like mounts, headers, exhaust, computer programming, harness modification ( unless you do it yourself) a throttle body ( or a gas pedal and harness if you want the drive by wire) E fans, and on and on. Not thousands of dollars but it adds up fast.

More locally LQ4's wth low miles are around the $1400-$1500 mark and low mile 5.3's are $1000 or less. That's where I live however.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have trouble selling engines personally as really people seem leary to buy anything they can't see run from a private individual. That said probably a $1000 for a complete low mile long block. It's not unreasonable, at least here.

I was dealing on a LQ9 in Ontario at a wrecker with 27000 miles on it and he was looking for $1450 US out of it. It is missing the accessories ( as is the one I bought otherwise) but is also missing an exhaust manifold and some of the accessory brackets as well. Not that a manifold matters if you want headers anyhow, and the brackets aren't tough to find. No computer but the engine wiring harness seemed complete. I would have bought the one in Ontario but by the time I paid for shipping it would have cost me the same as the one I bought locally. That and these guys will warrant the engine for 6 months no matter what I install it in, which is kind of nice I guess.

I wouldn't see why selling what you have wouldn't cover an LS engine, but most likely not the transmission as well. You can use your 4L60E to if you want to, but it won't last long behind a decent running 6 liter. Then there is the time and essentials like mounts, headers, exhaust, computer programming, harness modification ( unless you do it yourself) a throttle body ( or a gas pedal and harness if you want the drive by wire) E fans, and on and on. Not thousands of dollars but it adds up fast.

More locally LQ4's wth low miles are around the $1400-$1500 mark and low mile 5.3's are $1000 or less. That's where I live however.
The Engine i might be selling is the HD version with the LT4 Timing chain and gears ,Special High strength crank, and a 4 bolt main with less then 10,000 miles if that helps the price at all
I'm leaning more toward the Lq4 than the Lq9 due to the lower compression of the LQ4 and the trannny i'm going to be using is a Built LS1 Vette 4l60e
also how to the more modern 5.3 with displacement on demand do in regards to lower RPM torque

Last edited:

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Engine i might be selling is the HD version with the LT4 Timing chain and gears ,Special High strength crank, and a 4 bolt main with less then 10,000 miles if that helps the price at all
I'm leaning more toward the Lq4 than the Lq9 due to the lower compression of the LQ4 and the trannny i'm going to be using is a Built LS1 Vette 4l60e
also how to the more modern 5.3 with displacement on demand do in regards to lower RPM torque

Those mods do help the price of your 350, as long as you find a buyer for it. Include everything you know about it in the ad.

LS1 Vette's had transaxles, lol. No matter as long as whatever it is it's been beefed up.

The 5.3 with DOD is going to be an issue. Installing Gen IV engines can be done but it's nowhere near as common. You would need the donor vehicles original PCM, but then again it can be done. Guys like the 0411 PCM for its intergration simplicity with the older trucks. But that doesn't mean you can't use newer PCM's. I honestly have done a lot of LS searching and have yet to see anyone retro a DOD 5.3 or 6.0 into any GMT400 truck. The 0411's were used in 2001 and 2002 vehicles usually and do not have provision for the VCT or DOD technology.

I think your 6 liter idea is a solid idea, but that's just me. The 5.3 are alright too, but I just like the 6 liters displacement advantage and 4" bore.

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is also some excellent info to be found on www.ls1truck.com . They have a stickied step by step of converting a T400 to an LS. That and really a good chunk of members are guys who have converted.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those mods do help the price of your 350, as long as you find a buyer for it. Include everything you know about it in the ad.

LS1 Vette's had transaxles, lol. No matter as long as whatever it is it's been beefed up.

The 5.3 with DOD is going to be an issue. Installing Gen IV engines can be done but it's nowhere near as common. You would need the donor vehicles original PCM, but then again it can be done. Guys like the 0411 PCM for its intergration simplicity with the older trucks. But that doesn't mean you can't use newer PCM's. I honestly have done a lot of LS searching and have yet to see anyone retro a DOD 5.3 or 6.0 into any GMT400 truck. The 0411's were used in 2001 and 2002 vehicles usually and do not have provision for the VCT or DOD technology.

I think your 6 liter idea is a solid idea, but that's just me. The 5.3 are alright too, but I just like the 6 liters displacement advantage and 4" bore.

My bad he said it came from an LS1 and i assumed it was a vette

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was reading up on LS1truck and was wondering how they got the a/c working on the 6.0's

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was reading up on LS1truck and was wondering how they got the a/c working on the 6.0's

This may work out better on a Vortec truck

http://paceperformance.com/i-5138676-k10163-chevy-truck-suv-lsx-ac-bracket-kit.html

This is a specific for the truck, and somewhere our projects differ. Mine is a 94 so it's an easy swap with this bracket
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/air_conditioning/g3_relocation_kit.htm

That setup uses my trucks factory A/C compressor and puts it back right where it was ( more or less) on the TBI 350. The Novak bracket is how I will keep my A/C. You could retro to this style of compressor as well but I think the first setup from Kwik may allow you to keep your stocker.

Using the factory mount for the A/C means cutting a big notch out of your frame rail and then you have to deal with the modern A/C compressor that may or may not work.