What block do i have 2 bolt or 4 bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aussiesteve

Reaction score
@aussiesteve
Is your camaro or gmt400 right hand drive?
Would really like to see a photo!
If lefthand drive, is it difficult to drive vs a righthand drive vehicle when all other variables are the same?
The Camaro was converted to Right in 1985,, it came out of El Toro California and was owned by a Marine and his wife. I have the original books,, In Australia you can register and drive Left hand drive if the vehicle is older than 25years in most states or 30 years where i live,, The Truck was converted in 2000

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very cool! Well it sounds like you will have things well sorted by your experience. I would also love to see photos of the Camaro and the truck. Im not sure which direction I would go, it sounds like you want to pull the 383 out anyways and fix it up so I guess the 400 or the 383 is kind of a toss up. I guess depending on the cylinder head flow the 400 may have the advantage.

I mess with Buick 350s and I also use flat tappet cams partially because of cost and partially because the relatively tame cam profiles I use. The roller cam conversions for the Buicks are a pretty penny and I still hear about issues with roller lifter reliability. I spend the extra $1000 on cylinder head porting instead.

Back to your projects! Pics please?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
By the way,, just an interesting thought
Apparently trucks made in Canada were not sold new in America!

My C1500 GMC was made in Ontario Canada, it ways on the sticker inside the front door on the pillar.
The original books say it was sold New througn Mc Fersons in Carson California 1993, bought used in California in 1997 and bought to Australia and changed to Right Hand Drive in 2000. I bought a mechanically poor vehicle but have parts and bought a lot locally from importers and a lot on line from America. The engine will be next then a FULL repaint the original colour and lower it with new wheels.
No, that's not true. My 97 was built in Canada, and sold at a dealer in South Louisiana. Trucks built in Canada, were sold in the US. My 97, was built to be sold in the US. It has a MPH speedometer, as is all of the gauges.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, that's not true. My 97 was built in Canada, and sold at a dealer in South Louisiana. Trucks built in Canada, were sold in the US. My 97, was built to be sold in the US. It has a MPH speedometer, as is all of the gauges.
My 1983 G20 was also built in Canada to US specs and sold in Texas. The factory L31 engine in my US built 97 van was also a Canadian. A lot of the RH factory GMT400s were built in Brazil or Venezuela, I forget which and exported. There was a guy years ago in New Zealand with a factory RH drive suburban that he put a whipple on. GM put a RH drive S10 dash into them with a factory filler plate that riveted into the truck. He had researched a lot of information on them.

n2xlr8n

Reaction score
Yes any TBI truck block that has the risers will still need to be drilled and tapped for roller use. Interestingly the car TBI engines were all rollers after 1988 I’ve been told. Correct me if I’m wrong.

My September 88 TBI block (1989 Silverado Fleetside K1500), unopened, unmolested had the spider risers machined for 5/16-18 bolts.
I was pleasantly surprised.

Firewood truck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1500 trucks were 2 bolt main. Only 3/4 and 1 ton trucks had 4 bolt mains, on GMT 400s. Yes, it is a 1 piece rear main seal, and I think they are all roller lifter motors. None have roller rockers. Vortec had much better heads. The first Vortec 5.7 in a GMT 400, come out in 96.

My '88 K2500 had 2 bolt mains, cast crank and rods when I plucked it a few months ago. Obviously no way to tell f it were the original engine to the truck but upon taking everything apart, the hardware holding things like motor mounts and things like that sure gave the impression that they've never been taken apart since the truck left the factory all those years ago.