What should I do? 10 bolt gu6 g80 or 14 bolt gu6 g80?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jpalomino

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post on here so bear with me please
So I have a 95 k1500 that originally had a 10 bolt gu6 g80 with 11 inch drums but right now it only has a 10 bolt gu6 10 inch drums and no gov. So I am planning on putting back the original axle that it had before but I’ve been contemplating doing a 14 bolt rear axle swap with the same specs as the original, so I just want some input on what I should do and what would be better in the long term. (With a possibility of doing a true track conversion later on) so if I could get some feedback I would greatly appreciated. TIA

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe can find you a salvage yard with a nice 1500 or 2500 on car-part.com with the 4x4, 9.5" semi-floating, 6 lug wheel, 3.42 axle ratio (opt GU6)...

Jpalomino

Reaction score
Maybe can find you a salvage yard with a nice 1500 or 2500 on car-part.com with the 4x4, 9.5" semi-floating, 6 lug wheel, 3.42 axle ratio (opt GU6)...
Yes I have been able to find a few near me in Wisconsin and Indiana but I really don’t want to use a super rusty northern axle and since I am taking a trip down to Texas I have been able to find only 1 near San Antonio but I am willing to make the drive for it. Only downside is the truck has 232+ miles I have been looking around in MO, OK and northern tx but they are all way to far out of the way

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll exaggerate to make a point: A ten-bolt axle is totaled when it needs the gear lube changed.

It's insane to put ten cents into a ten-bolt under a full-size pickup. The OEM differentials--open or Gov-Bomb-- SHATTER for no special reason.

You need a "light duty" 14-bolt 9.5" ring gear K2500 axle with six lug axle shafts. Choose your core wisely, so the gears, bearings, axle-shafts, brakes, etc. are in reasonable condition, and you get the correct gear ratio. You may need fresh shoes, springs, wheel cylinders, axle seals, and of course fresh gear lube.

Jpalomino

Reaction score
I'll exaggerate to make a point: A ten-bolt axle is totaled when it needs the gear lube changed.

It's insane to put ten cents into a ten-bolt under a full-size pickup. The OEM differentials--open or Gov-Bomb-- SHATTER for no special reason.

You need a "light duty" 14-bolt 9.5" ring gear K2500 axle with six lug axle shafts. Choose your core wisely, so the gears, bearings, axle-shafts, brakes, etc. are in reasonable condition, and you get the correct gear ratio. You may need fresh shoes, springs, wheel cylinders, axle seals, and of course fresh gear lube.
So if I am able to find a decent 14 bolt core would it just mount up on the factory placement if it came out of a light duty 2500? Or would modifications need to be done for it to work?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if I am able to find a decent 14 bolt core would it just mount up on the factory placement if it came out of a light duty 2500? Or would modifications need to be done for it to work?
Yes. I also find it interesting that you say your 95 K1500 came with a 10 bolt axle with factory 11” brakes. Are you sure about that?

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will give my input since I have direct experience on the subject:

If you have the option for an inexpensive, known good condition 14 bolt, use that.

I have blown 2 sets of spider gears out of the 10 bolt in my half ton. After the last spider failure, I waited almost 2 years for a local, not wiped out 14 bolt so swap in. No luck. I needed my truck back, so I had my 10 bolt completely rebuilt with a trutrac and motive gear ring and pinion. The only stock parts left are the housing and the axles. Since the rebuild, the truck has towed in excess of 10k multiple times, and once had a rev-limiter clutch dump pulling about 9k, which just left a nice, thick 11 for about 30 feet. According to the internet, that clutch dump should have destroyed the transmission and the rear end. It didn't even open up any backlash, let alone grenade the diff.

TLDR; Replace the 10 bolt if you can find a 14 bolt in good shape. Consider the possibility of rebuilding the 10 bolt if you can't find a 14 bolt. The stock carrier and spiders are by far the weakest link in a 10 bolt.

Jpalomino

Reaction score
Yes. I also find it interesting that you say your 95 K1500 came with a 10 bolt axle with factory 11” brakes. Are you sure about that?
Well that’s what my uncle told me because the truck was his before I bought it from him, he could be wrong but all of the option codes wore off in the glove box so I should probably call the Chevy dealer and ask for it

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. I also find it interesting that you say your 95 K1500 came with a 10 bolt axle with factory 11” brakes
iirc looking for shoes even for my truck had the search loading 2 options, one being for the 11" brakes...But I could be mistaken.
I have a 10bolt with 11" brakes but it's from a different vehicle that was swapped on.
I do think there are some k1500 out there with factory 14bolt 9.5 6lug even.... pretty sure I recall posting one I saw at a yard here in Tampa a couple of months ago.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A read on this until others chime in....