What scanner are you using for OBd1 power bleed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SethT

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to replace all my brake lines with stainless. I also want to invest in a scanner. Might as well get one that can power bleed my 1994 Blazer.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not aware of a single bidirectional OBD1 specific scan tools, nor the ability to communicate with an OBD1 ABS module outside of a GM dealership using a Tech 2.
As these vehicles are 30 and more years old, finding one of the scanners is gonna be tough but not impossible.

Now, I do have the GM1 adaptor for my SnapOn Solus Ultra and I still can't communicate with the ABS on my '95 C2500. My pickup having all its hard and flex lines upgraded to stainless and braided easily bled with no ABS module interface necessary.

Additionally I only have pickups from the early generation with RWAL, perhaps you know something I dont about the 92-94 SUV 4 wheel ABS needing a scanner to bleed them?

Last edited:

SethT

Reaction score
Nad, your post is helpful, thank you. 1) I was looking at used Solus scanners, and now know that's not the best avenue 2) I'm also replacing everything, so glad to hear it got done without having to activate the ABS. That said I probably will invest in the dump valve clamps just in case. Thanks again!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of a single bidirectional OBD1 specific scan tools, nor the ability to communicate with an OBD1 ABS module outside of a GM dealership using a Tech 2.
I used to check wheel speed sensors on my '92 and '93 Lumina with an MTG2500.

Never tried auto-bleeding the ABS, though.

Now, I do have the GM1 adaptor for my SnapOn Solus Ultra and I still can't communicate with the ABS on my '95 C2500.
Can't communicate, or can't auto-bleed? Big difference.

What software version?

For the record, SOME GM vehicles need the GM3 adapter to do ABS work.

I only have pickups from the early generation with RWAL, perhaps you know something I dont about the 92-94 SUV 4 wheel ABS needing a scanner to bleed them?
Pretty sure the service manual says the Tech 1 (or Tech 2) is needed to bleed the aluminum-housing RWAL units.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure the service manual says the Tech 1 (or Tech 2) is needed to bleed the aluminum-housing RWAL units.

Both my '88 and '89 trucks have a bleeder on the unit and there no need to connect to them with a scanner.

I'll have to look at my scanner for the software date, regardless my '95 bled out perfectly well without a scanner interface. The pedal is high, firm, and the ABS activates as designed.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this 2 different 95’s or what am I not understanding? 2 different scanners?

My truck is one and singular. As we all know the '95 year is an oddball. OBD1 dlc, TBI like the 94 amd earlier, but identical interior to the 96 and later Vortec beasts, OBD1 dlc for the engine, but the same later model 3 channel ABS.

O.P. I believe has the more unique early gen 3 channel 92-94 SUV ABS which have their wheel speed sensors mounted externally to the front bearing (as opposed to RWAL pickup trucks).
@SethT can you confirm?

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both my '88 and '89 trucks have a bleeder on the unit and there no need to connect to them with a scanner.
You have the iron-body RWAL. The later, aluminum-body RWAL needs a scan tool because there is no bleeder screw.

I'll have to look at my scanner for the software date, regardless my '95 bled out perfectly well without a scanner interface. The pedal is high, firm, and the ABS activates as designed.
You got lucky. Apparently there wasn't any air trapped in the accumulator circuit.

About half of the ABS unit can be bled without the scan tool. The other half can't be bled without some sort of electrical intervention, which generally means a scan tool.