Well f**k me running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be very interested to hear what the fix is on this problem after everything you have already done!

So will I, everytime this thread comes back up I rack my brain trying to think of something else for him to try.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
if it's valve related it could be anything from lifter not having enough oil to lift the pushrod, could be a bent pushrod, to a whole new head.....

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Time for an LS swap! Enough screwing around already!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I did find a company that sells pairs of complete remanufactured heads on eBay for $300...should we get to that point. I hold hope that it still may be a timing issue...I have topped off the coolant reservoir twice now after decent drives and it need a little more right now (been using the cool line as a judge, when cool of course), so I wouldn't doubt a small leak in a headgasket...one that leaks a tiny bit when cut off, creating crappy cold starts, and is so small that once its warmed up it just barely affects the idle, creating that surge...idk, the exhaust never smells like coolant and I don't believe there is any coolant in the oil. A compression test shall tell us.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You should have done a compression test right off the back. Just because there isn't any coolant in the oil doesn't mean there isn't a compression problem. If you do have a compression problem you're just going to have to break the whole thing down and go though it. There's no other way. It could be something like a burnt valve. These engines are also known for the cam going out in them do to the newer low zinc oils not lubricating the flat tappets enough and wearing the lobes down.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I should note that the coolant level being a little low after driving it a couple times hasn't alarmed me because I just had the intake gaskets redone, so I expected some "burping" that would require me to add coolant.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
You should have done a compression test right off the back. Just because there isn't any coolant in the oil doesn't mean there isn't a compression problem. If you do have a compression problem you're just going to have to break the whole thing down and go though it. There's no other way. It could be something like a burnt valve. These engines are also known for the cam going out in them do to the newer low zinc oils not lubricating the flat tappets enough and wearing the lobes down.

Yeah I know...just crazy to me that it will run awesome with plenty of power even under light throttle...no hiccups whatsoever as long as you are in the throttle, the weight of my foot resting on the pedal is enough to prevent the idle surge.

I just want it fixed.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a stop screw for the throttle blades? If just your foot resting on the pedal can stop it, bump the idle a couple hundred rpm an save yourself some $$$$