Unbelievable!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have mentioned reading about this a few times lately. Here is an actual encounter in CA. Somehow a catback exhaust is cosidered an illegal emissions modification and they ticketed an out of state Arizona resident and turned his vehicle in with the smog patrol. Simply unbelievable to me. No wonder California is failing miserably and so many residents are moving to other states. I thought the best part was the officer telling an out of state resident they are not allowed to visit California. A catback exhaust has never been an emissions modification for the record.

Last edited:

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have mentioned reading about this a few times lately. Here is an actual encounter in CA. Somehow a catback exhaust is cosidered an illegal emissions modification and they ticketed an out of state Arizona resident and turned his vehicle in with the smog patrol. Simply unbelievable to me. No wonder California is failing miserably and so many residents are moving to other states. I thought the best part was the officer telling an out of state resident they are not allowed to visit California. A catback exhaust has never been an emissions modification for the record.

They don't really have a legal leg to stand on there... but it has never stopped them before. They could impound the car whether it's legal to do so or not and then make the owner go through all kinds of hoops to get it back. By the time it makes it through the years of court backlogs, the car would likely be destroyed or not even worth getting back, all while the out of state owner has to figure out a way to get home and then fight it in court.

There are instances in California related to gun rights stuff where even the local court has ruled that the sheriff has to return a firearm and the sheriff has straight up said no or that they have been "lost" during the whole legal fight.

The revocation of the Chevron doctrine today by the Supreme court will greatly reduce the ability of the EPA and other federal agencies to just make up their own doctrine on the fly like they have been since the 80's. It's probably going to allow a lot of these executive orders to get fought in court and overturned. The CARB referee handbook even says that they only care about the exhaust as far back as the catalytic converters and that cat-back exhausts have been legal for a long time in cali emissions wise. A ticket for loud exhaust would still be warranted if it is over the decibel limit... but it didn't look like the sheriff even did his due diligence to test the decibel level to be able to site him.. .so that would likely get thrown out in court as well.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not for the sheriff to determine though. It doesn't have to be Carb approved if the vehicle isn't registered in Cali. It DOES have to meet the noise ordinance though.
There a stock vehicles that do not meet California's ambitious decibel limits. Our trucks with a properly functioning fan clutch, stock intake and stock exhaust are louder in a drive by decibel situation than their laws allow. California has the exhaust decibel laws but in reality they are total vehicle decibel output measurements. I have seen them try to go after stock GM and Workhorse chassis vehicles like RVs as well or modern stock pickup trucks pulling trailers. It is a V8 built to Federal noise compliance, nothing illegal about that except in CA. The stock UPS truck with a 6.0L that delivers in my neighborhood would probably get cited in CA, it has a super throaty exhaust on it. The PSI 8.8L school buses are even louder. You can hear them a city block away.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No wonder California is failing miserably and so many residents are moving to other states.

Meanwhile, you read about the increased carjackings & 'street takeovers' occurring in Cali?
(mob attacks patrol car during street takeover)

And even something as basic as the price of gas, one guess which state has the highest average price?

You must be registered for see images attach

(More expensive than Hawaii? That's quite an accomplishment.)

Admittedly there's a bit of a price war on nearby Rt. 11, but I just filled up paying $3.25/gallon. In CA that same gallon of fuel
is an additional $1.89 per gallon. Gas is 58% more expensive. How do you afford that? Wow.

For those old enough to have been assigned to read The Grapes of Wrath in high school, it seems that
the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction from where it was in 1939. The couple of times I visited
CA was nice enough, but as a mere mortal how do you afford to live there? And the theory is that as long
as the economy continues to weaken, that there will be a corresponding rise in theft/violence?

It's a shame to watch California crumble...

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad I live on the other side of the country. NYS isn't even that bad. But they did pass a loud exhaust law. But don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting pulled over for it. Think it mainly applies to ricer's and the A-holes on Harley's purposely flogging it driving by....

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There a stock vehicles that do not meet California's ambitious decibel limits. Our trucks with a properly functioning fan clutch, stock intake and stock exhaust are louder in a drive by decibel situation than their laws allow. California has the exhaust decibel laws but in reality they are total vehicle decibel output measurements. I have seen them try to go after stock GM and Workhorse chassis vehicles like RVs as well or modern stock pickup trucks pulling trailers. It is a V8 built to Federal noise compliance, nothing illegal about that except in CA. The stock UPS truck with a 6.0L that delivers in my neighborhood would probably get cited in CA, it has a super throaty exhaust on it. The PSI 8.8L school buses are even louder. You can hear them a city block away.

Some of those UPS trucks sound pretty good.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some of those UPS trucks sound pretty good.
They do. The PSI 8.8L has a very low, deep big block rumble to it that rattles the windows at the house. The older 6.8L V10 Ford bus had a good sound too, much like this one.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media