Redneck refresh 2000 K3500 CCLB 7.4/454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Classic93LS

Reaction score
I ran into something interesting when installing the distributor. The GM cam I chose said it needed a specific distributor gear. Whether I really need to change it or not based on what gear was already on my Delphi distributor, I did it anyway. So, I swapped the gear. When I went to try to install it, it would sit proud by about 1 to 1-1/2 inch. After looking, I realized the distributor wouldn't mate up with the oil pump drive shaft, but couldn't tell why. I tried tweaking the pump shaft location to get them to line up, but no dice. Looking at the bottom of the distributor I noticed the oil pump drive end was shoved to one side inside the dist. gear. After screwing around a little bit I thought 'what the heck', I'll overdrive the dist. gear/shaft roll pin and then got to the opposite side and punch the other side of the pin back to put the shaft in the center of the gear (and make sure the pin isn't sticking out too much on one side). After I got that done and tried to drop the distributor and, holy smokes, it just dropped right in. So, if you ever have to change the distributor gear, make sure the center shaft pump drive end is centered in the gear.

(This is an old distributor that I ground the gear down to make an oil priming tool on an old project)
You must be registered for see images attach

This oil pump drive end needed to be centered in the gear.

You must be registered for see images attach
Old distributors are invaluable