Truck Fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The insurance company's will only give you LIKE vehicle value, in your area. That is why, the offer is so low. This is difficult to fight, but it can be done, although it may take a lawyer. Receipts of recent work done will help. You could have done a classic vehicle insurance, but the truck can not be a Dailey driver. You must have a garage or storage area, to qualify for classic vehicle insurance. All of this really does mater now though, but you can fight there estamineted value though.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The insurance company will always try to give you less than the vehicle is actually worth. Fight it and refuse to accept that amount. Do your own research and provide actual comparable values. They tried to do that to me when my wife totaled our Mazda CX-7. They were trying to compare price to vehicles with WAY more miles, far less optioned, and in much rougher shape. When I countered with links to actually comparable vehicles with a description of why it was a much better comparison I had to go back and forth a few times before they finally offered me about $3k more than the initial offer.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
That sucks about the truck. I've always been too poor to afford anything above liability, and too jaded on insurance companies to expect any kind of decency from them. For what I could pay for full coverage to still get a run around, Ive always figured that money saved could go in my own repair fund, to take care of it myself in such event. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze. Between greedy companies, and people trying to take advantage of what is there, its all a nasty mess.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
My beautiful restored blue 1994 truck (beautiful to me) caught fire for some unknown reason in a drive thru. I was able to push it away from the building. I had full coverage insurance and they just offered to settle for $3007. So sad!

You must be registered for see images attach
Man, I am so sorry, that is terrible!

And the insurance trying to stick it to you is terrible, too!

It LOOKS fixable to me, but if it's just too much to deal with and you decide to take the total loss payout, don't settle for that first offer.

I've never used this guy's service but he may be able to help you. I've read a lot of stories on FB where he has helped people with wrecks get diminished value compensation after their vehicle is repaired, even when the insurance denies it - and also get a fairer payout on total losses. He charges a flat fee of $500 or $600 depending on the situation. https://www.facebook.com/CollisionConsultants - hopefully he can help.

Richard

MNorton

Reaction score
No idea what caused the fire but I guess it was a fuel line on the back of the carburetor from the looks of the burning. Not going to restore it damaged too bad. The bed still looks ok along with the wheels and tires. The inside is toast. I’ll put another picture up.

Attachments

• IMG_2734.jpeg
    IMG_2734.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 31

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Receipts, receipts, receipts.

Ask to see what they compared your truck to, and make note if your truck has 100k and the ones they compared to all have 200k.

Crazy as it sounds, this is why a build thread can be important. You have documentation of all the work you've put into an older vehicle, and it's public. That's also why you don't want to say stuff like "I'm gonna straight pipe this truck and swap the VIN tag..."

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idea what caused the fire but I guess it was a fuel line on the back of the carburetor from the looks of the burning. Not going to restore it damaged too bad. The bed still looks ok along with the wheels and tires. The inside is toast. I’ll put another picture up.
Bummer!!!
Reckon you could get another truck and use this one for parts.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some days it just doesn't pay to take one out of the garage, but then what if that happened IN your garage? It sucks either way but you know what I mean.