Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Those 360 truck motors are pretty good engines, for what they are designed for. Back in my parts store days (78-83) we had some customers who had them in similar era Ford pickups, and they were happy with them. I saved one of them when I was at their Mobil station/shop. Guy had it on the lift for oil and filter change, he goes to fire it up and oil pours out the bottom. I saw it and got him to shut it off before it started clattering. He'd forgotten to put the new oil filter on...I think he'd had too many beers for lunch.
My uncle had a '69? F250 4x4 that was his daily driver for years. It had some FE series engine, maybe a 390? He may still have it, even though I know he got a 2016 super duty to haul his travel trailer. He's in northern New Mexico, but we haven't spoken for a few years. He use
My understanding is that the 390 was never available in a 4x4 from the factory in a Bumpside, only the 360.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My understanding is that the 390 was never available in a 4x4 from the factory in a Bumpside, only the 360.
It's been about 18 years since I looked at that truck...he came down here to spend a few weeks working on our house, and drove it down with some of his tools in it.
He hasn't come back to Texas in several years. Last few times he did, came with his wife who is from Northern NM and she was not well received by the folks who he grew up with in central Texas. So he stays up there and goes hunting whenever he gets the chance.

Dravec

Reaction score
It's been about 18 years since I looked at that truck...he came down here to spend a few weeks working on our house, and drove it down with some of his tools in it.
He hasn't come back to Texas in several years. Last few times he did, came with his wife who is from Northern NM and she was not well received by the folks who he grew up with in central Texas. So he stays up there and goes hunting whenever he gets the chance.
If I was to get my hands on a Bumpside F-250 4x4, I'd definitely build it with a 390. Those are rockin' engines. It's basically a Ford version of a 383.

The only reason I'm not gonna rebuild Papa's truck as a 390 is because he specifically bought it because it wasn't a 390 truck. He didn't want the fuel mileage penalty of the bigger motor. I may eventually do a 4bbl and an Edelbrock Performer intake, maybe a small cam, but otherwise she's gonna stay relatively stock. Mostly just safety modifications, and a couple small modernizations.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
If I was to get my hands on a Bumpside F-250 4x4, I'd definitely build it with a 390. Those are rockin' engines. It's basically a Ford version of a 383.

The only reason I'm not gonna rebuild Papa's truck as a 390 is because he specifically bought it because it wasn't a 390 truck. He didn't want the fuel mileage penalty of the bigger motor. I may eventually do a 4bbl and an Edelbrock Performer intake, maybe a small cam, but otherwise she's gonna stay relatively stock. Mostly just safety modifications, and a couple small modernizations.
These guys who had the 360 powered trucks were originally from Arkansas; the extended family had a Mobil station with an extra 2 bay shop behind the station which also had 2 bays. Old man had a bit of a drinking problem, and his son was a typical useless boss' kid. His nephew and a couple of mechanics ran the place. The nephew got killed in a crash when he and his wife went back home for a family reunion, and his uncle really took it hard. They ended up closing the station a few years later.
One of the mechanics had gone to the same Catholic high school that I went to, a few years earlier, and we knew some of the same people from there. He was a big Ford guy back then, had several '69 Mach 1 'stangs and a nice '70, and a cherry '79 F150. Of course we ragged on each other about FoMoCo vs GM; funny thing is he ended up being the service writer/manager at a big Mopar dealership, that many years earlier, my great grandmother bought two Plymouths from, ten years apart. Even in the humongous city of Houston, there are "small world" connections.

Chuck_13

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a fan of most Fords AT ALL but I do love me some old Ford trucks.Learned to drive in Dad's old 66 F100 short wide,352 c6 with an under dash AC that would freeze your....nose off.I would pay major $$$$ to have that truck back.OP that's a cool old truck and I bet if it could talk it'd have some stories!

Dravec

Reaction score
Not a fan of most Fords AT ALL but I do love me some old Ford trucks.Learned to drive in Dad's old 66 F100 short wide,352 c6 with an under dash AC that would freeze your....nose off.I would pay major $$$$ to have that truck back.OP that's a cool old truck and I bet if it could talk it'd have some stories!
I'm not really a Ford guy either, unless we're talking '96 and older. And even then, I almost always prefer the GM equivalent over the Ford. But this one is special, because it was the very first new vehicle my Papa ever bought for himself, and he absolutely loved this truck, although he did become a GM guy in the 90's. He and I were planning on restoring this truck together, and as unfortunately happens all too often, I got busy with life after high school. And then one day, suddenly I ran out out of time to do this with him.

Dravec

Reaction score
Welp, got her home tonight. Have a couple of crappy pics for now. I'll get better ones tomorrow once I'm home from work.

Attachments

• IMG_20240702_214124.jpg
    IMG_20240702_214124.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240702_214321.jpg
    IMG_20240702_214321.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 2

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I'm not really a Ford guy either, unless we're talking '96 and older. And even then, I almost always prefer the GM equivalent over the Ford. But this one is special, because it was the very first new vehicle my Papa ever bought for himself, and he absolutely loved this truck, although he did become a GM guy in the 90's. He and I were planning on restoring this truck together, and as unfortunately happens all too often, I got busy with life after high school. And then one day, suddenly I ran out out of time to do this with him.
Yup... time with friends and family is the one thing nobody ever has enough of.....
My dad taught me a lot about cars and trucks, but he didn't get time enough to impart all his knowledge. So I get it from a few other relatives, and many friends, and of course y'all good folks on here!