Transmission issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I am not really sure how to look up my problem on Google so I thought I would ask here.

I have an 88c1500 with a 350 and a 700r4. For a bit now I have been having some shifting issues and when stopped at lights there would be a big clunk and talking off another big clunk. Finally though today I was taking off from a stoplight with a good amount of gas and there was a huge clunk and complete loss of power. It was like the truck shifted into neutral. I put it in park and back into drive but the little drive with the square around it on the dash and nothing would happen. When I put it into drive with the D without the square around it would drive but would shift horribly.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Hopefully all of that made sense.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am not really sure how to look up my problem on Google so I thought I would ask here.

I have an 88c1500 with a 350 and a 700r4. For a bit now I have been having some shifting issues and when stopped at lights there would be a big clunk and talking off another big clunk. Finally though today I was taking off from a stoplight with a good amount of gas and there was a huge clunk and complete loss of power. It was like the truck shifted into neutral. I put it in park and back into drive but the little drive with the square around it on the dash and nothing would happen. When I put it into drive with the D without the square around it would drive but would shift horribly.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Hopefully all of that made sense.
Drop the pan, see what's at the bottom. Sounds like your anti-clunk spring may have broken and the center support is reacting violently with the case. If that's correct, it will need to come out for a complete rebuild, possibly with a case swap if the case is damaged.

Reaction score
Drop the pan, see what's at the bottom. Sounds like your anti-clunk spring may have broken and the center support is reacting violently with the case. If that's correct, it will need to come out for a complete rebuild, possibly with a case swap if the case is damaged.
Oof alright. Already dropped the pan in anticipation of a rebuild but a new case would suck. Bottom of the pan had metal flakes in it and metal dust. I had just changed the fluid and filter like 1k miles ago and had a good amount of metal dust in it for that.
Thx for the help

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oof alright. Already dropped the pan in anticipation of a rebuild but a new case would suck. Bottom of the pan had metal flakes in it and metal dust. I had just changed the fluid and filter like 1k miles ago and had a good amount of metal dust in it for that.
Thx for the help
You're welcome...When you take it all apart, pay very close attention to the case lugs area where the center support sits...Hopefully I'm wrong it's something else entirely; something that can be replaced much more easily. The 87+ 700R4s are getting hard to find for reasonable money, at least in my neck of the woods...

Reaction score
I’m hoping its alright. After the initial big clunk I drove it less then a quarter of a mile home so maybe it didn’t cause too much damage.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m hoping its alright. After the initial big clunk I drove it less then a quarter of a mile home so maybe it didn’t cause too much damage.
These kinds of driver complaints are very hard to diagnose over the net as terms like "clunk", "bang", "bump" are very subjective; what may seem severe to you may be nothing outside normal operation or it may be a sign of serious problems or something in between. 700R4s and 4L60Es clunk, esp on the 3-2 dowmshift; that's a biproduct of their mechanics.

Drive it again and see what happens.

Reaction score
These kinds of driver complaints are very hard to diagnose over the net as terms like "clunk", "bang", "bump" are very subjective; what may seem severe to you may be nothing outside normal operation or it may be a sign of serious problems or something in between. 700R4s and 4L60Es clunk, esp on the 3-2 dowmshift; that's a biproduct of their mechanics.

Drive it again and see what happens.
True sorry. No it was a huge jolt and shudder then the engine started revving high and the truck wouldn’t move