Towing with a 4l60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

name

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for those of you following this thread :

I got the unit today, I kept it in 3rd gear as suggested both empty and loaded. I could get 65 mph while keeping the tach right at 2,800 , I set the cruise and let her rip all day. the only thing I noticed is when I was going up a longer grade while loaded it seemed to loose speed slowly, but when I took it over with the gas pedal it responded ( altho sluggish )

I stayed in the slow lane and just ran with the trucks. the trailer did have brakes on it but they have not worked in years. I did not have and problem braking but I was not on them constantly enough to get hot, this may have been different if I had mostly city driving.

Many Thanks for all who posted, this is the loaded rig at a lunch stop .

You must be registered for see images attach

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 K1500 305 and didn't know there was an overdrive. What is considered an overdrive.
This is what I tow 80% of the time..the teardrop. The other time it is this Utility/Tent trailer
If i remember right the newer trucks have a button on the shifter.

I’m guessing you have a 4L60E? If so your 4th gear is yo overdrive gear. Avoid using it when towing or you will eventually fry your trans.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for those of you following this thread :

I got the unit today, I kept it in 3rd gear as suggested both empty and loaded. I could get 65 mph while keeping the tach right at 2,800 , I set the cruise and let her rip all day. the only thing I noticed is when I was going up a longer grade while loaded it seemed to loose speed slowly, but when I took it over with the gas pedal it responded ( altho sluggish )

I stayed in the slow lane and just ran with the trucks. the trailer did have brakes on it but they have not worked in years. I did not have and problem braking but I was not on them constantly enough to get hot, this may have been different if I had mostly city driving.

Many Thanks for all who posted, this is the loaded rig at a lunch stop .

Nice to see you made it problem free. A stock TBI 350 is not the strongest running engine around but it will tow a good load all day long without breaking a sweat. I once pulled a wrecked 454 G30 van 700+ miles with a tired but well maintained 250K mile 1994 305 TBI G10 van and it got me where I needed to go with reasonable speed despite having 3.08 gears. On the grades it was down into 2nd at 55-60 mph but not reving overly high with the 3.08 gears and I let it eat, pedal on the floor at times. It was never less than 1/2 throttle unless I was pointed downhill and I would put it on the floor when I saw a hill coming up. It would hold 3rd until the hill bit then drop to 2nd and still slow down a bit, but it pulled the weight decently with all of whatever was left of its 265 ft/lbs of torque. People hate on the TBI SBCs but they are reliable and tough little engine albeit a little weak.

Not sure how the cruise setup operates on that year, but my Express would only give the engine 75% throttle on the cruise stock. Recently noticed it only gives about 65% throttle. That might have something to do with bending the cruise control lever up a bit on the throttle lever to clear the marine intake fuel rail. Does not bother me, just saves gas on a grade. Let it eat and slow down a little, your TBI 350 is not a new Duramax making 910 ft/lbs.

Last edited:

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I once towed home a OBS truck on a heavy trailer using my 91 2500 6 lug that had a worn out tired 5.7 and by the time the truck was home the engine had developed new oil leaks and the trans only lasted a few more months after that tow. I was using 3rd but i was young and being in a rush and going too fast. Not long after that I swapped in the fresh crate motor and had the trans rebuilt. I remember getting 35% better fuel mileage with the fresh combo. I broke the engine in on a 550 mile drive, man I was brave lol.

And before the engine swap I chased an poorly running engine that turned out to be a fuel pressure regulator at the TBI. Too bad I’d already fired the parts cannon and replaced the fuel pump, every engine sensor etc lol. Good times.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 K1500 305 and didn't know there was an overdrive. What is considered an overdrive.
This is what I tow 80% of the time..the teardrop. The other time it is this Utility/Tent trailer
If i remember right the newer trucks have a button on the shifter.
I wouldn't worry about towing that teardrop in overdrive. When I'm towing my 18' trailer unloaded I keep it in overdrive.

Reaction score
Minimal difference in rpm between D with TC locked up and OD not locked up.
As others have said, get a tranny cooler. Also, fit a temp gauge. If the trans isn't happy it'll tell you as the temp creeps up and keeps on creeping up.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about towing that teardrop in overdrive.
I had a guy roll into my shop during bike week one year pulling a teardrop like that with his Dyna Glide. He dragged that all the way across the country from California. I'm guessing that truck doesn't even know it's back there. The way the air comes up over the cab it's probably falling back in across the sloped rear of that trailer and actually giving it a little push.