Coolant temperatures while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sure. A big enough electric fan works just fine. But that's typically going to be an OEM job, because the crappy fans/fan motors/shrouds commonly sold by the aftermarket as "conversions" are lame.

Agreed, those typically fall in the 2500 range and can easily pull significantly less if you're trying to be cheap about it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't focus on wattage alone. A crappy inefficient fan could easily pull tons of juice while doing nothing.
One thing I would like to revisit myself is a later model Corvette or Camaro PWM fan or the later model truck PWM dual fan setup and the dumbo ear shaped air guides that bolt to the condenser and catch airflow from the full width of my grille opening, forcing it through the cooling stack while blocking it from going through the openings behind the headlights as well as a longer air dam.

The Express has lived long enough that at some point GM decided that airflow management through the cooling stack was a good thing and created these air guides that bolt to the condenser mounting bolts and help direct the ram airflow from moving down the road through the gille opening through the condenser and radiator while blocking airflow out of the engine compartment that would otherwise take away from airflow the lower pressure area created by the air dam creates.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
One thing I would like to revisit myself is a later model Corvette or Camaro PWM fan or the later model truck PWM dual fan setup and the dumbo ear shaped air guides that bolt to the condenser and catch airflow from the full width of my grille opening, forcing it through the cooling stack while blocking it from going through the openings behind the headlights as well as a longer air dam.

I like the sounds of PWM, and a GenIV PCM can drive one right? Where are the brains for those fans anyway?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the sounds of PWM, and a GenIV PCM can drive one right? Where are the brains for those fans anyway?
Yes the GenIV PCM can drive PWM fans. The fan has a built in PWM controller with soft start technology. Each fan has 3 wires, Power, Ground and PWM signal. The PWM signal can be paralleled to control multiple fans. If I had endless funds to play with I would get 2 of the Corvette PWM fans that are like 600w each. They could move a HUGE volume of air with the engine idling. The Corvette fans have 14" blades. I feel like they could probably retrofit into a newer truck fan shroud in place of the weaker motors and thinner/less count of blades they ran, giving 1,200 watts of total capacity if needed. The Corvette fan is like 4,000+ cfm each. The 18" Camaro fan with its 800 watt motor moves like 5,000 cfm. Volvo and a few other european vehicles use the same 18" fan. I want to say Range Rover uses one on their supercharged V8 SUV.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck fan blades are listed as just under 15". The Corvette blade is in the 14.5" range The truck fan blades look puny compared to the Corvette fan blade. Dual Corvette motors and fan blades in a truck housing would probably give me the CFM I actually need to keep my engine cool.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 18" Camaro fan is the beast though. 800 watt motor on that one and an 11 bladed 18" blade.