Torque Thrust D balancing options.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm putting a set of 15x8.5 Torque Thrust D wheels on my 93 SWB. I'm not willing to put weights on the front side of the rim, I think that just looks stupid 99% of the time. My plan has been to balance with clip on weights on the inside (back) edge, and stick on weights just behind the spokes (front / outside) so that they were hidden, but still close enough to the edge for a balance. The wheels showed up from FEDEX today, and it's painfully clear that just behind the spokes is almost dead centerline of the rim.

You must be registered for see images attach

I can't see any option other than to static balance, and just put weights on centerline only. Can't imagine I'm the first to run into this, so... Thoughts? Especially if you've experience with this?
I'm going to be trying to get them mounted tomorrow as I'm painfully incapacitated truck-wise at the moment.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My plan has been to balance with clip on weights on the inside (back) edge, and stick on weights just behind the spokes (front / outside)

As long as weights (“masses”, technically) can be applied in two different planes, you should be able to balance the wheel.

But, the closer the planes are to each other, the greater the weight(s) required.

IIRC, the location the planes relative the C/L of the wheel isn’t relevant, only the distance b/t the planes.

This is recalled from a textbook titled “Balancing of Machinery”, printed many years ago. I have it on a shelf… somewhere.

Last edited:

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hadn't considered that. Thanks. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Hopefully I can get an above average balance operator.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I dismounted the tires from my old wheels, I went to Wal-Mart. Not my first choice normally, but it was just dismounting. The guy working there was professional, straight forward, and oddly enough, had been reading Sun Tzu's The Art of War. Apparently he's not that long out of the Army.

Anyways, I decided to give him a shot. When I rolled up, he knew just what I was after and just freaking took care of it. Excellent service at a Wal-mart TLE. Seems abnormal, but I'm totally taking it. I still need to install a 2" drop shackle in the rear and get it back on the ground, but I'll try to grab some pics when I get it out of the shop.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You got lucky, he will probably move on once his ability is recognized.
Try a wheel tire shop that does a lot of higher end wheels, they usually have better equipment and more investment in quality service and good customer satisfaction/ support.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try a wheel tire shop that does a lot of higher end wheels,
I wish. I live way way way out in the sticks. For example, today I needed a 14mm x 120mm bolt to replace one I F-ed up when swapping shackles. The nearest place to get one was an hour drive, then an hour back. For a bolt.