Time to put the old Rolair compressor out to pasture.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My trusty air compressor has apparently reached the end of the line. I've had it since 2002. Up until recently it worked flawlessly, and the only maintenance was to change the oil and replace a tank drain valve. I used it for powering nail guns for finish carpentry, inflating tires, and for blowing out dust with an air jet.

It seems the pressure switch has failed, as it will no longer power on. I called the nearest Rolair dealer, and they said they might have one in stock. If I had them replace it, I'd get it back in maybe five weeks. Of course I'll replace it myself. No big deal.

You must be registered for see images attach

In the process of researching pressure valve issues, I turned to youtube; and this video came up. It's about the aftermath of a catastrophic compressor failure:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

A low probability event, but definitely high consequence. This got me thinking. So I called the guy back at the dealer, and asked them if they pressure- tested compressor tanks. He said they do not. Then he remembered our earlier conversation, he asked how old my compressor was. When I told him, he paused, and then said he would not trust it. He said plenty of people would, but based on what he's seen and heard about, he wouldn't. It's basically been rusting inside for 22 years, particularly the past 10 or so here in Virginia. Of course I drain the tank and leave the valve open between uses, but rusty water and sometimes flakes come out every time. It seems that it's always wet inside that tank. End of story.

Ok, maybe I'm overly concerned, and maybe the guy in the service department is overly concerned too, but I think I'm going to retire my compressor. Since I plan to use air tools in my garage (whenever that gets finished), the new one will be larger than this one.

Come to think of it, I probably ought to spring for another portable compressor now, and get the larger one later, when it's truly needed. Around the farm there are plenty of reasons to have a portable compressor, so it wouldn't be a wasted purchase.

So that's my plan. Portable now, and something larger to handle air tools later. Since I haven't shopped for a compressor in 22 years, suggestions are welcome.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Porter Cable pancake that's been good to me for about 15yrs, wouldn't hesitate to replace it with the same when the time comes.

I always drain it when done, and occasionally once it's done draining, turn it back on with the valve still open, and get that little bit of leftover "water" out.
I've had good luck with Porter Cable tools also. Definitely worthy of consideration.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Just make sure go NOT get oil-free pumps, they are advertising planned obsolescence like its a feature.

I have one that I got for cheap at a farm auction and it wouldnt get above 50PSI, I squirted a little air compressor oil down the intake as it was running and it can get up enough for what I need it for but I still rely on my oiled one for 99% of the jobs. The oiled one is easily 50 years old and still works perfect

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just make sure go NOT get oil-free pumps, they are advertising planned obsolescence like its a feature.

I have one that I got for cheap at a farm auction and it wouldnt get above 50PSI, I squirted a little air compressor oil down the intake as it was running and it can get up enough for what I need it for but I still rely on my oiled one for 99% of the jobs. The oiled one is easily 50 years old and still works perfect
I'll probably go for oil-free for the portable, as I'll be lugging it around the farm, but it won't get constant use. The Rolair is oiled, which is great for longevity, but it's heavy. Fortunately I didn't have to move it around that much.

The future and much larger shop compressor, however, will be an oiled model.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the humidity where you reside? The compressor sucks it in, air gets hot under pressure, then cools down , during compressor rest periods of end of day shutdown. That moist air settles some in a closed container. Condensation, bare metal = corrosion never sleeps.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the humidity where you reside? The compressor sucks it in, air gets hot under pressure, then cools down , during compressor rest periods of end of day shutdown. That moist air settles some in a closed container. Condensation, bare metal = corrosion never sleeps.
As @termite put it so aptly, it varies. But I daresay that my neck of Virginia's (less than 300' elevation) could be a bit more humid than his part of West Virginia, as I read somewhere that humidity decreases as altitude increases. I'm not sure. Anyway, to me it's pretty humid here almost all of the time, particularly during warmer months. We have days of 30%, but not often. 60% is considered not bad. I'm very fond of 5% to maybe 20% humidity, from having lived in the Southwest at a much higher elevation. It would seem that living here is less than optimal for me, weather-wise. Fortunately there are tradeoffs.

But I digress. You're absolutely right. Stuff rusts here, and at a steady pace. It takes anything wet a long time to dry out completely. Looking at the compressor, I see subtle signs of rust around some of the welds on the tank; something that the service guy suggested I specifically look for.

But I'm happy to have gotten as much use out of the thing as I have. Would I rather not have to buy a new one? Of course. But I'm not willing to assume the risk of a tank failing under pressure, no matter how seldom such a thing occurs.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not sure when it was implemented,but now on many small consumer, average Joe, home compressors I've started seeing a service life statement on them . As in " Discard compress tank after XX/XX date. " Or " Service life XX years " . Or some variation of limited service life.
As a note of interest. One of the Aircraft Repair hangers I worked at opened its doors in the 40's still doing good. The compressor in that shop is Riveted 80 gallon. And every year a Pressurized Tank tech comes out and does a visual and Eddy current test. It is still chugging away.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
As @termite put it so aptly, it varies. But I daresay that my neck of Virginia's (less than 300' elevation) could be a bit more humid than his part of West Virginia, as I read somewhere that humidity decreases as altitude increases. I'm not sure. Anyway, to me it's pretty humid here almost all of the time, particularly during warmer months. We have days of 30%, but not often. 60% is considered not bad. I'm very fond of 5% to maybe 20% humidity, from having lived in the Southwest at a much higher elevation. It would seem that living here is less than optimal for me, weather-wise. Fortunately there are tradeoffs.

But I digress. You're absolutely right. Stuff rusts here, and at a steady pace. It takes anything wet a long time to dry out completely. Looking at the compressor, I see subtle signs of rust around some of the welds on the tank; something that the service guy suggested I specifically look for.

But I'm happy to have gotten as much use out of the thing as I have. Would I rather not have to buy a new one? Of course. But I'm not willing to assume the risk of a tank failing under pressure, no matter how seldom such a thing occurs.
That old compressor tank would make a fine baby BBQ pit. :)

Richard