The Stupid Electronics Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

KillZone_1918

Reaction score
My question is instead of buying the $60 OBD1 to usb cable (Its $81 total), can't you just buy a OBD1 to OBD2 adapter and then plug that into a OBD2 to usb and stream/read all the data that way or would it not work because of all the adaptations made?? (On amazon its like $30 max for this setup)

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My question is instead of buying the $60 OBD1 to usb cable (Its $81 total), can't you just buy a OBD1 to OBD2 adapter and then plug that into a OBD2 to usb and stream/read all the data that way or would it not work because of all the adaptations made?? (On amazon its like $30 max for this setup)
I believe the consensus is those adapters are absolute junk, pony up and buy the cable from a reputable store.

noom14921992

Reaction score
I am not ready to buy and install a sub yet, but while i have my carpet out, what size wire and what else should i go ahead and run so it is there when i am ready?
I dont even know if i want a 10 or a 12 or even an 8. I just want to run a wire and anything else so i am future proof.

thanks!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd run the wire in the channel under the door sill trim, along with all the other wiring. Gauge depends on how much power you're supplying to the sub and how far the wire run is. I have a small amp on a 10" sub that's two feet from the distribution block, and I think I'm running 10 gauge.

I installed a sub in WCJr two weeks ago. I ran the amp power-on signal and RCA wiring under the door sill trim. I have a center console in the truck with heavier wiring and a relay, so I tapped the amp's power off of that - because I designed the circuit for an eventual amp along with powering the Cadillac seats and a little inverter. If I didn't have that already I would prefer to run it under the door sill trim because it's more protected than just running it under the carpet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also highly recommend using a bulkhead connector to get power into your cab. All the power for my center console setup is fused out by the battery and then run through a single lug into the cab. A fat wire running through a made-in-China grommet in a sharp-edged hole cut in your firewall is a good way to burn your truck down.