The herd grows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think 90% of it is the oil filter housing. It looks like a river of oil coming down the side there. Here's another pic of it.

I ordered new AC Delco gasket, o-ring, bolts, and oil cooler line clips for it today. I'll probably wait until the temps are at least down into the 90's to attempt it.

You must be registered for see images attach

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New gasket and all that stuff installed. The OE gasket was about 50% missing. I couldn't find all the pieces to make a whole one out of them, so that's good. The parts that were left were a royal PITA to remove.

The housing was leaking so bad that after replacing the gasket and o-ring the oil pressure gauge is reading 20 psi higher than it was before.

Pro tip: install these damned clips while you have the housing on the bench. It will save you an hour of cursing.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New gasket and all that stuff installed. The OE gasket was about 50% missing. I couldn't find all the pieces to make a whole one out of them, so that's good. The parts that were left were a royal PITA to remove.

The housing was leaking so bad that after replacing the gasket and o-ring the oil pressure gauge is reading 20 psi higher than it was before.

Pro tip: install these damned clips while you have the housing on the bench. It will save you an hour of cursing.

Similar thing happened on my ‘95. It wasn’t leaking as bad as yours. I removed the oil cooler entirely and I gained 5-7psi across the board.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say that while I was down there, I was very pleased with what I saw. It's never seen salt or mud in its life. It's very clean for an old truck. Total opposite of my other kids' truck that ended up on a ranch for the last few years before we got it and every little job involved getting dirt in your mouth, ears, eyes, nose, hair, etc.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil changed today. Did something I don't usually do, I poured about 1/4 can of seafoam in the crankcase and let it run 15 minutes. I have no love for that tired engine so if it kills it, so be it. The oil filter felt much heavier than it did yesterday. I guess it really does something ...

Dumped the rest in the gas tank and filled it up.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They say you can put seafoam in the crankcase, but that always made nervous after seeing how well it cleans intakes.

I’ve started putting marvel mystery oil in for about the last 500 miles before an oil change and have noticed a significant darkening of the oil and lightening under the valve covers.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They say you can put seafoam in the crankcase, but that always made nervous after seeing how well it cleans intakes.

I’ve started putting marvel mystery oil in for about the last 500 miles before an oil change and have noticed a significant darkening of the oil and lightening under the valve covers.

Yeah, that's why this is a first for me. I was actually going to use it to clean the intake but then I asked myself if I felt like changing the spark plugs today, and I didn't. I may cut open the filter and see what it caught. I didn't think it would do much in only 15 minutes, but that filter had some heft to it.

Drove it about 30 minutes after changing the oil and didn't observe any real difference to be honest, which is probably a good thing.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
When I pick up a used rig that has been neglected on oil changes, I'll run some Kreen through it...generally go about 500mi with it in there. It definitely cleans things out and desludges an engine.