Termite's 95 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Put some time into adding a grommet through the firewall for plow wiring as well as brake controller wiring in the suburban. Started out going ok with enlarging the existing hole with a 1" hole saw. Grabbed the grommet, shoved the plow harness through it, failed my ID10T test, proceeded to pull the harness back out of the grommet. Then fed harness through firewall, back through grommet, and popped it all into the firewall. S***! Should have realized I needed a 1 1/4" hole for the grommet to fully seat.

Screw it, hole was in, edges filed, grommet is fairly thick rubber and has several bellows one of which fits nicely in the hole. Ran the wires and hooked the controller I yanked from the doghouse up, which included fixing the hack job a PO did tapping into the brake signal wire, butt connector about 1.5 inches from plug for cruise control box that was crimped through the insulation.

Today, I'll route everything under the hood and gather up the slack in the plow controller harness. May even take a picture or two.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Over the past few weeks, the suburban developed a leak at the rear heat connections. When I bought it in 2021, rear heat was non-functional and I flushed everything to bring it back online. In addition to flushing, I replaced the lines from the engine bay tee back to the frame just behind the front wheel and proceeded to ignore the other original rubber lines. Thise are now failing. Tip of the hat to @Godholio and @1998_K1500_Sub for the thread on rear heater hose rehab over on the thread linked below. In contrast the the 1998 that 1998_K1500_Sub has, my 1995 has 3/4 hard lines best I can measure with calipers and not disassembling anything.

I'll be getting my parts list together to keep the quick connect fittings and replace the crimped rubber connections. Plan to use the gates powergrip clamps 1998_K1500_Sub referenced.

Post in thread '95 Suburban rear heater hose questions' https://www.gmt400.com/threads/95-suburban-rear-heater-hose-questions.53581/post-1445732

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plan to use the gates powergrip clamps 1998_K1500_Sub referenced.

I happen to have the Suburban up on jackstands today, so here are pictures of the rear and intermediate hoses as they exist now.

Reference my original posts on this retrofit in the other thread.

You’ll see some Rustoleum red primer in the pictures, I’ve applied that over some areas behind the rear wheel that had surface rust.

On my Suburban, the hard lines that had originally accepted the “quick connect”connectors are 3/4”, and…

The hard lines that had hoses crimped on them are 5/8”.

This is evident in my photos if you stare at them long enough.

Evidently this is not standard across all years, YMMV.

Attachments

• IMG_9506.jpeg
    IMG_9506.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9505.jpeg
    IMG_9505.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9504.jpeg
    IMG_9504.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9503.jpeg
    IMG_9503.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I happen to have the Suburban up on jackstands today, so here are pictures of the rear and intermediate hoses as they exist now.

Reference my original posts on this retrofit in the other thread.

You’ll see some Rustoleum red primer in the pictures, I’ve applied that over some areas behind the rear wheel that had surface rust.
Looks good still.

I just attempted to change the fuel filter I've been neglecting. Its rusted in place and threatening to round off the hex on the lines. Suppose ots gonna get the spray down routine for a while before I make it a 'project' I dont need right now.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just attempted to change the fuel filter I've been neglecting. Its rusted in place and threatening to round off the hex on the lines. Suppose ots gonna get the spray down routine for a while before I make it a 'project' I dont need right now.

Maybe you’ve tried this trick…

Put a flare nut wrench over the fitting and then clamp it tight with a vice grip.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 2

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe you’ve tried this trick…

Put a flare nut wrench over the fitting and then clamp it tight with a vice grip.
Thanks for that. Never even crossed my mind to clamp the flare wrench tight to it. Will give it a try maybe tomorrow or one evening this week. I'll have the kiddos solo tomorrow unless we go dig up the water line feeding the barn at the in-laws. Been leaking for a few years and now I guess it's time to fix it rather than shut that branch off in the basement every day.