TBI running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just got a 1990 5.7 TBI running after 10 years of sitting inside. I did a rebuild of motor, cleaned gas tank, new pump and sending unit and new filter. Also new Coolant sensors, oil pressure sending unit. I put long tube headers on it, have it timed. The issue I seem to have is its running rich, loads up with gas and stalls out. Once I do have it running and throttle to higher RPMS, it seems to mellow out. But once I shut it off it wont restart as if its flooded. Leave it sit until drys out, fires right up. Any ideas where to start?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any ideas where to start?
A scanner that can look at data stream might be able to point to something obviously wrong. Have you tried pulling any codes via aldl? May get lucky.
Fuel pressure test...
Did you rebuild tbi? Regulator...?

I don't see the emissions manual for your year. Maybe it's hidden somewhere in the sticky somewhere but you can probably download the 89 or 91 emissions manual and go through some of the driveabilty troubleshooting until someone else chimes in....

95burban

Friends don’t let friends use spindles.
Reaction score
Did you replace the o2 sensor?