TBI/Intake manifold questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
The housing for a connector for a heater hose is stripped out and can't be rethreaded
Mine is messed up too, from previous owner breaking off the heater hose connector, gooping it up, presumably after a failed removal attempt. I chiseled all the excess junk out and attempted threading in a new connector, only to discover it still leaked, even with plenty of pipe dope on the threads.

So, I tried again, after thoroughly cleaning it with Brakleen, being sure it was dry, then applying JB Weld to the new connector fitting and letting it cure a nice long time. Hasn't leaked since.

I really didn't want to replace my intake, because it's a TBI 7.4, which is far less common to find an intake for. There was one on eBay but since they're cast iron instead of aluminum like the small block, shipping would've been a small fortune.

First attempt with a pipe plug and pipe dope - still leaked.
You must be registered for see images attach

Said F it and used JB and an actual connector since I didn't want to JB a plug in place, but a connector, so I could go ahead and hook up the heater core. Been this way nearly a year now, no leaks.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The housing for a connector for a heater hose is stripped out and can't be rethreaded

So it's got buggered threads. Next size pipe tap. Install bushing , to next size down. Then add new hose fitting and hose , clamp . Done.

after thoroughly cleaning it with Brakleen, being sure it was dry, then applying JB Weld to the new connector fitting and letting it cure a nice long time. Hasn't leaked since.
Thanks. Saved me a lot of typing.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dunno guys, the casting is pretty thin back there, I have seen them crack with the stock sized fitting when it was over torqued a bit. I do not see how you could tap it out to the next NPT size. Due to the specific casting this random picture of a unit looks thicker than others I have seen. Some of these manifolds were cast iron too and they hold up a lot better. The aluminum manifold from the 1992 donor van I converted my 1983 G20 to TBI with was so pitted around the coolant ports in 2005 I had to replace it.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will add to the prior comment though. I think a lot of old school mechanics and DIY guys here would dump a gallon of coolant in the whole system and call it good here in Texas where it rarely gets below freezing. That idealogy ruined a lot of aluminum engine parts from galvanic corrosion. I have seen some of the worst aluminum corrosion here. I pulled a set of 113s off a Corvette here a few years ago that had leaking head gaskets. The owner ended up having to buy a new set of heads and new lower intake manifold because the coolant ports were so corroded they were paper thin. The head gaskets were leaking coolant because they literally had nothing to seal to on the cylinder head side.

Last edited:

KingRaider76

Reaction score
Well that's something. Never heard of that before.
Do you have any wrecking yards in your area that you can pull one from?
I know the yards around here have access to all the others and can get what you want/need. I'm sure there's a ton available to those with that system.
That's the first option, got a mechanic looking into it. Just seeing what other options I have

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one sitting on the shelf after I bought the 3704. It needs some cleaning but if you're anywhere near town, stop by and grab it. I don't wanna mess with shipping something like that but, it's yours if you want it.

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had one leaking on the wife’s 99 Tahoe back about 2003 and while trying to remove and replace it I managed to crack the intake down in the threads on a Saturday morning. I called a machine shop that did anything/everything and they were there so off it came and I took to them. They were able to clean it up weld up the crack and re-thread it within a couple hours and never leaked. Worth a shot if you can’t find a replacement.