Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Already did as mentioned in my admittedly long-winded initial gripe. Problem is anything you do will smash the foam-backed material. I folded a t-shirt over it and attempted crimping with smooth-jaw pliers, didn't help.

Richard
I read it as you tried to pinch it while it was still on the rod.
Yeah, send that high dollar BS back!!!

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Setting the bar really high for tonight, I needed an easy win.

Installed the new GM hook-style wiper arms and some new blades. This was a nice upgrade!

What's odd is I already knew there's a big difference between the driver and passenger side with this style, as evidenced by different part #'s, but mostly by the fact that if you swap them to the wrong side it will become evident very quickly.. the old peg style seem to be the exact same part for both sides.

I saw elsewhere someone mention that the hook style "sit lower on the glass" but this is not accurate. With no adjustment to the wiper linkages at all, just a straight swap from peg to hook, mine rest in the exact same spot on the glass. I tried first to get a pic showing the dust line from the old wiper when I removed it, but it wouldn't show.

Old vs. new
You must be registered for see images attach

And all new...

Richard

Last edited:

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I intend to; that's too much money to just give up - but not before exhausting any potential tricks to making them work. I've seen mention of bending the rod to make them tighten up, but I gotta tell you, that rod is not some flimsy thing so I don't want to just go stupid on it and cause a bigger problem.

Richard
Once you get your credit and they won't want those back, you can pinch on them harder to tighten them up, or squirt something sticky in there to put some bit of resistance on them.

someotherguy

Reaction score
Once you get your credit and they won't want those back, you can pinch on them harder to tighten them up, or squirt something sticky in there to put some bit of resistance on them.
I pinched one about as hard as I dared, unhappy that it left dents in the fabric that I'm not sure will come out. It made no noticeable difference. I feel like anything sticky I spray in there wouldn't be a lasting or effective measure, just be messy. Wouldn't know what to use and it feels like you'd need to get it right the first time, because anything else you try will be less likely to work once there's something else already in there and you can't clean it out.

I'm more tempted to try bending the rod as suggested but I'll tell you these don't bend easily.

Richard

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Installed the new GM hook-style wiper arms and some new blades. This was a nice upgrade!

What's odd is I already knew there's a big difference between the driver and passenger side with this style, as evidenced by different part #'s, but mostly by the fact that if you swap them to the wrong side it will become evident very quickly.. the old peg style seem to be the exact same part for both sides.

I saw elsewhere someone mention that the hook style "sit lower on the glass" but this is not accurate. With no adjustment to the wiper linkages at all, just a straight swap from peg to hook, mine rest in the exact same spot on the glass. I tried first to get a pic showing the dust line from the old wiper when I removed it, but it wouldn't show.

Old vs. new

And all new...

Richard
A year or two ago someone mentioned a mid 90s wiper arm was better than the 88-91 type. Stouter spring or something so I remembered that on my next jy trip and picked up a pair. It's BS, they were exactly like my 91's. And while I had my OEs off I sprayed them satin black like yours.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pinched one about as hard as I dared, unhappy that it left dents in the fabric that I'm not sure will come out. It made no noticeable difference. I feel like anything sticky I spray in there wouldn't be a lasting or effective measure, just be messy. Wouldn't know what to use and it feels like you'd need to get it right the first time, because anything else you try will be less likely to work once there's something else already in there and you can't clean it out.

I'm more tempted to try bending the rod as suggested but I'll tell you these don't bend easily.

Richard
Know a local upholsterer? He might know a trick.

someotherguy

Reaction score
Know a local upholsterer? He might know a trick.
Nope. If I did, I'd have considered getting the boards from my old visors re-covered. However, the only remaining good parts were the masonite/MDF(?) boards themselves. They're in the truck now, so that I can prop up my windshield shade. They're nice and tight, just ugly.

Richard

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope. If I did, I'd have considered getting the boards from my old visors re-covered. However, the only remaining good parts were the masonite/MDF(?) boards themselves. They're in the truck now, so that I can prop up my windshield shade. They're nice and tight, just ugly.

Richard
The last time I had a visor apart it seems like I could twist it back and forth and pull on it and it would slide off the rod. No retainer. Then maybe you could bend on it or rough it up to put some friction in it. ?

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Old vs. new

And all new...

Richard
Where did you get these? I need a couple of sets. They look great.

someotherguy

Reaction score
Where did you get these? I need a couple of sets. They look great.
15043064 driver side, 15043063 passenger side, GM Genuine part #'s. I got mine from amazon for pretty much the same price as other sources. $86 after tax seems like a bit but they're brand new GM instead of hunting for boneyard ones and prepping/repainting, plus time/fuel spent going to find some. Houston's a big city but all the boneyards are not close to me at all.

Richard