Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked at NAPA for about six months before I joined the military. I liked it, but I could see the writing on the wall. It didn't pay great, and as soon as Autozone started using inmate labor to answer their phones NAPA couldn't compete.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Got my second blower motor delivered undamaged.. first one was destroyed. Went to install it today and found that as usual, they can't make anything a direct swap. Stupid little stuff that makes it more annoying than it should be. The hole in the flange for the ground tab screw? Too large for the OEM screw. Can't find another in my bolt box that is "just right" so I dig through my pinball parts and come up with a small bolt w/star washer nut and install it upside-down so it doesn't interfere too much with the fit against the blower housing. Scraped all the black paint off the surface the tab sits against, too.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sprayed the fan motor connectors, as well as the associated red/black connection, and the PCM connections (had it and the tray out to remove the blower motor insulator cover) with DeOxit before putting it all back together.

Not convinced the TYC motor is up to the same quality as the one that lasted 30 years, so I shot some oil into the front and back of the old motor, hooked it to the battery with alligator clips and ran it a while before tossing it in the box for possible future use. It was pretty stiff before I oiled it, and now it's spinning freely. I should have done that while I had the whole A/C system apart but I had so much on my plate I guess I forgot. Oh, well.

Next up I tried the sun visor replacements I ordered from Rock. The "Acme Auto" sun visors LOOK good, the light gray color is a nice match to the doors and they seem decently made.. until you go to install them and they are floppy. I mean can't make them stay in position for anything. I carefully wrapped a t-shirt around the edge and used some smooth jaw pliers in an attempt to crimp the "clamp" area hoping to tighten them up, but no dice. It's weird, because they FEEL tight when you push them over the rod, but they just won't stay in position. And of course since you have to poke a hole in the fabric to install them, they're now unreturnable.

So unless I'm missing something on how to make these work, I am tentatively saying these Acme Auto SV201FB sun visors are 100% worthless garbage and a complete waste of $128.62. I'm pissed off. @sewlow or anybody else, ideas??

Richard

Last edited:

someotherguy

Reaction score
I would contact RA and complain anyway. 608-661-1376
I intend to; that's too much money to just give up - but not before exhausting any potential tricks to making them work. I've seen mention of bending the rod to make them tighten up, but I gotta tell you, that rod is not some flimsy thing so I don't want to just go stupid on it and cause a bigger problem.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
intend to; that's too much money to just give up - but not before exhausting any potential tricks to making them work. I've seen mention of bending the rod to make them tighten up, but I gotta tell you, that rod is not some flimsy thing so I don't want to just go stupid on it and cause a bigger problem.

Richard
Go gettem’ :boxing:
Post some pics if you can. I’d like to see what your dealing with.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I intend to; that's too much money to just give up - but not before exhausting any potential tricks to making them work. I've seen mention of bending the rod to make them tighten up, but I gotta tell you, that rod is not some flimsy thing so I don't want to just go stupid on it and cause a bigger problem.

Richard
Can you slide the visors back off the rods and pinch the clamp area?

someotherguy

Reaction score
Can you slide the visors back off the rods and pinch the clamp area?
Already did as mentioned in my admittedly long-winded initial gripe. Problem is anything you do will smash the foam-backed material. I folded a t-shirt over it and attempted crimping with smooth-jaw pliers, didn't help.

Eww, I bought a tyc blower and it vibrated. I returned it and got another Four Seasons blower.
Had the same issue with a VDO blower I bought locally many years ago. The first TYC that showed up last week was badly damaged in shipping; the box they come in isn't suitable for shipping on its own. I was surprised the second one showed up in good shape although the box was a little smashed. I spun it up before install to be sure it was running smoothly. It doesn't take much for that wheel to get shoved around and off-balance.

Richard