Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yeah, this one is just beginning to seep a bit, hopefully it'll be a while before I have to dig into it. It's also annoying that the thermostat housing I replaced is leaking. Haven't pressured it up to see from where yet, the gasket or the hose, but I suspect gasket for some reason.

No rust worries on the transmission. They painted the case while they had it out for rebuild. And for extra protection, they left the fill plug loose enough to seep past the threads. Noticed when I was underneath messing with the clutch cylinder.

Those of us who care. :Big Laugh:

So tonight I got a wild hair after soldering up another couple tow light batteries for my co-workers.. and figured I'd strip the rotten material off the headliner board I picked up. The foam hadn't really failed too badly, but the fabric was rotting from weather exposure. The donor truck sat for years with the rear window knocked out.
You must be registered for see images attach

Wasn't too bad though I should've done it with the garage door open. Fan just kept circulating fiberglass dust in there and that sucks. Anyway, the board is in decent shape. The expected couple of slightly peeled spots and a broken corner, but overall it should work fine.
You must be registered for see images attach

Now I just gotta choose the material and glue, then find the motivation to spend time doing it. I'm sure this alone will really enhance the comfort in the cab - no longer bare steel roof in the summer beaming the heat down on me, and should silence a good amount of the rattling trim plastics that normally have the headliner sandwiched in.

Richard
Yup I need to redo the headliner in Rawhide, really the only thing wrong with the interior. I want to put a layer of insulation in there too. Even on a light colored truck it's gotta help with cab comfort.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup I need to redo the headliner in Rawhide, really the only thing wrong with the interior. I want to put a layer of insulation in there too. Even on a light colored truck it's gotta help with cab comfort.
Have fun getting it out and if you need more then just fabric good luck finding one. I finally found one for my 99 now just have to get the funds to buy it and not damage it putting it back in. Might wait till I have the windshield replaced and shove it in when they have it out.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Have fun getting it out and if you need more then just fabric good luck finding one. I finally found one for my 99 now just have to get the funds to buy it and not damage it putting it back in. Might wait till I have the windshield replaced and shove it in when they have it out.
Well.... Rawhide does need a windshield, so there is that option. Not going to be a near future project anyway.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Cover that board on both sides with fiberglass resin...it will greatly extend the life!
I've seen this done and it seems wise, but I wonder specifically which product? There's resins with a separate tube/container of hardener, and some that look like a 1-can product.. care to elaborate further?

Richard

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score