Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Remember what life was like before cell phones?

I once made it through ~25 miles of Dallas traffic with a broken clutch cable in a Jeep Cherokee. I consider it one of my finest moments in the clutch gangstas.
Yeah, fortunately I was at an intersection with 2 gas stations so "back in the day" that would've meant several pay phones with a good chance at least some of them would be working, I'd have phone numbers to all my important peeps memorized, and then it would all fall apart because there'd be no way to reach them in the truck. I guess when I got into the tow biz it was just as cell phones were becoming pretty ubiquitous - 2003 - before that I generally only had a phone if my job paid for it.

Anyway, after the money (and waiting) I recently dumped into having this transmission rebuilt, there's no way I was gonna even attempt slinging gears without a clutch. No sir. I was too close to home.. 45 minutes roasting in the morning sun while waiting for a co-worker to come get me, yeah, I'm good with that. :)

I can float gears in a big truck like I was born doing it. Light vehicle transmissions, not so much, for some reason.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to work in a warehouse full of aircraft parts, and we had a remote warehouse with more storage space. We had a commonly ordered part that weight 12k lbs, and we had a flatbed squarebody we used to get them from the second warehouse. We had one hour to get high priority parts, even if we had to drive to the other warehouse. I worked 2nd shift with one other person, so if we had a problem, our resources were limited. One night we had one ordered, and I hopped in the truck only to find the clutch pedal dead.

I put it in granny first and started the truck in gear, accelerated, lift & shift, repeat. I did that the whole way there and back. The SPs at the gate thought I was stupid watching me take off on the starter.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah.. I've done some really dumb stuff in the past but the sting from the transmission rebuild bill is WAY too fresh in my mind to do anything other than take the safe route and just tow it home. Fortunately I know some people in the biz ;) and the worst of it was the 40-45 minute wait. Literally none of our guys were on my side of town at the time, especially since it was just after shift change.

What I'm wondering is, and I've searched as much as I can stomach on terms like "prebled" and it seems like the clutch master/slave/line assembly bills itself as an "install it in one piece" approach, but I don't think that's possible? The threads I found never seem to follow-up with the end result. I'm tearing into this tomorrow and some insight sure would help. The last time I did one of these it was on the later model NV4500 which is a totally different setup.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Tore into the clutch hydraulics today, after waiting until it was nice and hot in the shop ;)

Removing the original plastic master cylinder only to discover it looks like my hydroboost is starting to leak. Great!
You must be registered for see images attach

After fighting with it for a while I figured it's junk anyway so I cut the plastic line (like the FSM suggests anyway)

Perfection Clutch PF9061 pre-bled assembly with aluminum master and slave cylinders:

Absolute freaking nightmare trying to install this as one piece. Where the FSM says you can do this, and also do it from the top, ignore it. Burn those pages of your manual. Knock the roll pins out and take the thing apart, install it (even the line by itself is a bit of a pain) then bleed it per the FSM instructions which are pretty straightforward. Before I went into the FSM procedure, I did pull the slave bleeder screw and let some fluid run through the line, then replaced the screw and topped up the reservoir before bleeding.

Unhook pushrod from clutch pedal. Remove master cylinder cap. Remove slave cylinder, slowly press the pushrod all the way in, then slowly release. Then, several short strokes about 5-10mm, while watching for bubbles in the reservoir. Add fluid as needed. I didn't have anyone handy to watch for bubbles for me, so I set up my old d-cam on a magnetic tripod and recorded it a couple times, then watched, didn't take long at all.

The expected failure mode confirmed - old plastic slave cylinder cracked/burst under pressure.

Hooked everything back up then gave it a test. Pedal felt good, so I cranked the engine up and tried catching a couple gears, no problem at all.

Just one question - when I removed the cap from the new master cylinder before installing it, the rubber inside was an extreme "outie" which seems like it would displace most of/all the fluid if I put it on like that, so I pressed it in with my finger, making it an "innie" which *seems* correct, but what do y'all say?

Richard