Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
1, And most important is you're keeping local businesses alive. Buying domestic starts at home.
2, That's $1.67 before shipping.
3, If there is an issue you have to ship them back and wait for the replacement(s) to arrive.
All true. Except for there's no independent parts stores left, at least around here. I used to shop at them, until they went away. So that ain't my fault! LOL.. once it became nothing but chain operations with crappy service and high prices, that drives the migration to the online market.

$45.81 for 8 CR43TS locally, vs. $26.30 from Rock with the fastest of the 3 shipping options ($23.06 for slowest) and that's before the discount code applied - essentially you could just average it out at about $25. Other than the hassle of returning any damaged/defective parts, there's not much argument for spending almost double just to do business with the local example of a chain location. I get it that the money stays in the community to some degree, because it pays the salary of employees that live in my area, but if the employees are on the whole unhelpful jerks, no wonder the money has gone elsewhere. I have very few good options around here for what you'd call customer service and I live in a huge city with lots of choices! It's sad. Now, how we got there is a subject of much debate, but me spending $45.81 for $25 worth of spark plugs ain't gonna rectify that situation.

I wonder if those fine wire electrodes act like glowplugs at higher RPM's?
The double platinum ACDelcos recommended for my 2006 6.0 have that tiny electrode, and while I wouldn't compare a coil pak ignition to the old HEI in my TBI 7.4, in the particular application they've done just fine. It was way past 100K when I got around to doing the plugs on that truck, and the ones that came out actually looked just fine but I figured it was time to replace. I'd feel a little funny running plugs like that in an "old" HEI for sure. The ACDelco platinums that I chose for the TBI have a normal size/shape electrode, same basic appearance as the CR43TS as you can see in the side by side pic.

Another piece of experience tip. Those smooth sided insulators will allow spark to travel down the sides and short out to the valance. I discovered this the first time with those E3 plugs.
I haven't seen problems with regular flavor plugs that have the smooth insulators, but I don't doubt your experience. The E3 plugs are gimmicks of the worst kind and I wouldn't be surprised one bit that someone could have bad results from them.

Anyone want 5 of these bad boys for free. Bosch 4458. They fit our engines apparently. $29 a piece on Amazon. They were just extras in a box I got.
I'd say the reach on those looks a bit much for any TBI small or big block! What engine are they supposed to be for? Regardless, I wouldn't run them in anything. IMO another gimmick plug and years ago when they came out, the TBI guys tried the +4 plugs and had lots of misfires. Not sure if anyone ever figured out the actual cause, but I'd guess maybe the factory gap was too much for HEI. A CR43TS comes in with .044 preset gap; I don't see the +4's anymore (guessing the gave up on them?) but a regular Bosch plug listed for a TBI 5.7 advertises a preset gap of .054; seems excessive.

Dang it. I should have low-balled you on it while it wasn’t running right.
Hey! Now that ain't friendly! :Big Laugh:

Richard

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Ah Richard ya know it’s all in good fun. Want you to get out and enjoy your truck!
It's really right at the edge of enjoyable. Running pretty good, transmission is still.. I dunno. A/C nice and cold. Suspension still needs rebuild in the front, but it can wait until cooler weather. Now that the dash is done, I'm just waiting on the new visors to show up so I can match headliner material to them and knock that out. Before it goes in I'll get the windows tinted.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PM All true. Except for there's no independent parts stores left, at least around here. I used to shop at them, until they went away. So that ain't my fault! LOL.. once it became nothing but chain operations with crappy service and high prices, that drives the migration to the online market.

$45.81 for 8 CR43TS locally, vs. $26.30 from Rock with the fastest of the 3 shipping options ($23.06 for slowest) and that's before the discount code applied - essentially you could just average it out at about $25. Other than the hassle of returning any damaged/defective parts, there's not much argument for spending almost double just to do business with the local example of a chain location. I get it that the money stays in the community to some degree, because it pays the salary of employees that live in my area, but if the employees are on the whole unhelpful jerks, no wonder the money has gone elsewhere. I have very few good options around here for what you'd call customer service and I live in a huge city with lots of choices! It's sad. Now, how we got there is a subject of much debate, but me spending $45.81 for $25 worth of spark plugs ain't gonna rectify that situation.

The double platinum ACDelcos recommended for my 2006 6.0 have that tiny electrode, and while I wouldn't compare a coil pak ignition to the old HEI in my TBI 7.4, in the particular application they've done just fine. It was way past 100K when I got around to doing the plugs on that truck, and the ones that came out actually looked just fine but I figured it was time to replace. I'd feel a little funny running plugs like that in an "old" HEI for sure. The ACDelco platinums that I chose for the TBI have a normal size/shape electrode, same basic appearance as the CR43TS as you can see in the side by side pic.

I haven't seen problems with regular flavor plugs that have the smooth insulators, but I don't doubt your experience. The E3 plugs are gimmicks of the worst kind and I wouldn't be surprised one bit that someone could have bad results from them.

I'd say the reach on those looks a bit much for any TBI small or big block! What engine are they supposed to be for? Regardless, I wouldn't run them in anything. IMO another gimmick plug and years ago when they came out, the TBI guys tried the +4 plugs and had lots of misfires. Not sure if anyone ever figured out the actual cause, but I'd guess maybe the factory gap was too much for HEI. A CR43TS comes in with .044 preset gap; I don't see the +4's anymore (guessing the gave up on them?) but a regular Bosch plug listed for a TBI 5.7 advertises a preset gap of .054; seems excessive.

Hey! Now that ain't friendly! :Big Laugh:

Richard
I used the local parts store yesterday. Ordered and paid for it online. Drove over to pick it up and “Sorry, we don’t have that”. :fca5278d:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was at AZ yesterday. Guy was wanting the "rubber things" for the front calipers. The counter guy had no idea. I blurted out that he likely wanted a caliper rebuild kit. The counter guy looked confused. Another experienced counter guy said, "we do not carry those".