Tailgate will not open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ever since I got a new tailgate years ago I've had to hit it on the upper left, while pulling on latch, to open it. Hardware wasn't replaced. It won't open anymore. When I pull handle I don't see the latches move. Are rods all I need? The latch was replaced not long before I got the new tailgate, and it would open with ease back then.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Need to investigate where the failure is. Pop the handle bezel off and see if either retainer clip to the rods broke; most common failure. Sometimes the handle itself fails and won't move enough to release the latch(es).

Richard

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Need to investigate where the failure is. Pop the handle bezel off and see if either retainer clip to the rods broke; most common failure. Sometimes the handle itself fails and won't move enough to release the latch(es).

Richard
I’ll check it out. Thanks.

JDGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ever since I got a new tailgate years ago I've had to hit it on the upper left, while pulling on latch, to open it. Hardware wasn't replaced. It won't open anymore. When I pull handle I don't see the latches move. Are rods all I need? The latch was replaced not long before I got the new tailgate, and it would open with ease back then.
I had a similar issue with my 91 C2500. It turned out to be alignment. The latches were tight against the bracket. At the time the bed was rusted all the hell and the rear fenders were bowed inward from the weight of the cap causing alignment issues.
I had a similar issue with my 91 C2500. It turned out to be alignment. The latches were tight against the bracket. At the time the bed was rusted all the hell and the rear fenders were bowed inward from the weight of the cap causing alignment issues.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Richard
Retainer clip broke on right side. Gonna replace both.