Tailgate issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deuce95

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been having trouble with my tailgate for a while now and it has me stumped. Tailgate closes fine latches strong and secure, decent tension on the latch handle. I can pull and shake and wiggle, stays fine. Go to drive down the road..... Flop, down goes the tailgate. At first it was just rare occasions but has gotten to the point a 2 minute up the road trip is loose, I have a rope tied across it to the hitch to keep it from just falling down. Any suggestions? Stock tailgate.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The latches are worn out. Post a picture of the latch end.
I bet it is worn down to a thin point.
You have just enough left that you can pull on it and it wont disconnect but you dont have enough to keep it from popping loose when the bed moves while you are going over bumps.
Both sides of that latch pawl will be worn out just from wear and tear of it knocking back and forth while you drive.

Deuce95

Reaction score
The latches are worn out. Post a picture of the latch end.
I bet it is worn down to a thin point.
You have just enough left that you can pull on it and it wont disconnect but you dont have enough to keep it from popping loose when the bed moves while you are going over bumps.
Both sides of that latch pawl will be worn out just from wear and tear of it knocking back and forth while you drive.
Ill take some pictures this afternoon

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Even if the latch pawls are in good shape, there still can be enough bed flex to pop the gate open. Going over a real rough RR crossing a few weeks ago, the gate popped open on my crew cab. This was before I bolted the bars down tight, I would highly recommend this for anyone who has a truck with a freeflow tailgate.

Attachments

• IMG_20240521_195251603.jpg
    IMG_20240521_195251603.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 5