Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jgollihue

Reaction score
So I am restoring a 94 C2500 she’s definitely a fixer upper but this is my first pick up and I’m gonna put as much money and time as she needs. With that being said, she tries to start. She sounds like a tractor when trying to start. Her idle is horrible, when she starts at all, most of the time it’s just “coughs” like a diesel and doesn’t start. I know the timing is off and she needs a starter and ignition coil (I have the parts just haven’t installed them yet.) I have already replaced the distributor, alternator, and battery. Also when I replaced the spark plugs all of them have oil on them. When she does start she smokes white (only if I give it the beans though) sorry in advance for the book, I just love this truck but I’m thinking I’m in over my head, diag. wise (94, 350, tbi, 4L80e )

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    604.1 KB · Views: 5

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
94 C2500... ...350, tbi, 4L80e

she tries to start. She sounds like a tractor when trying to start.
What does a tractor sound like? Diesel? Four-cylinder Flathead? Johnny Popper?

Her idle is horrible, when she starts at all, most of the time it’s just “coughs” like a diesel and doesn’t start. I know the timing is off and she needs a starter and ignition coil (I have the parts just haven’t installed them yet.)
HOW do you know the timing is off, and that it needs a starter and ignition coil?

IF (big IF) it really does need that work, DO IT and see what happens.

when I replaced the spark plugs all of them have oil on them.
The new ones? Or the old ones coming out?

When she does start she smokes white (only if I give it the beans though)
A. Coolant in the cylinders? Any coolant loss?
B. Normal condensation in a cold exhaust system?

Jgollihue

Reaction score
Alright so 1st, sorry for the rambling I’m just stressing about this truck
1. I really don’t know the difference but, will post a video tomorrow
2. I replaced the distributor, I had a mechanic come out to do the timing, car wouldn’t start so he said I needed to get it at least to start before he could get the timing perfect
3. Old ones (that was the pic included)
4. Very well could be just condensation I haven’t got her to run long enough to warm up

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2. I replaced the distributor, I had a mechanic come out to do the timing, car wouldn’t start so he said I needed to get it at least to start before he could get the timing perfect
Don't give money to morons. Getting it to start is his job. If he can't get it to start...you should not be paying him, or giving him future work.