Stereo upgrade options/opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bcrump1984

Reaction score
Looking to replace the factory head unit and speakers in my 96 suburban. I have pretty much decided on a kenwood Excelon HU. As far as speakers I am thinking replace the door speakers and run a single 10” sub. Opinions on amplifying all 4 speakers and sub or nix the sub and replace the doors and modify for 6x9s in the rear headliner only amplifying the doors? Id like to add a little bass over what the 6.5 door speakers provide. I have a 97 with some kickers in the doors but don’t think the 4x10s work. It sounds fine to me without the 4x10s. Basically would 6x9s provide that little extra in the 96 or would it be wasted effort to modify the headliner brackets for 6x9s.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did the Kenwood DNX577S (love the head unit) with standard size Alpine door speakers and upgraded the rears to 6x9 Alpines and the sound is not at all good. I am looking to change up my speaker configuration now and add some tweeters up high and some small woofers. I installed the same 6x9 Alpines with 4" woofers and tweeters in my sons pickup truck and it sounds amazing.
1997 K2500 Suburban

Bcrump1984

Reaction score
I did the Kenwood DNX577S (love the head unit) with standard size Alpine door speakers and upgraded the rears to 6x9 Alpines and the sound is not at all good. I am looking to change up my speaker configuration now and add some tweeters up high and some small woofers. I installed the same 6x9 Alpines with 4" woofers and tweeters in my sons pickup truck and it sounds amazing.
1997 K2500 Suburban
So in your opinion fitting the 6x9s in back wouldn’t be worth the effort? What about doing a set of components up front with stock size 6.5” in the back doors and with a 10/12” woofer in back for bass.

Cadillacmak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So in your opinion fitting the 6x9s in back wouldn’t be worth the effort? What about doing a set of components up front with stock size 6.5” in the back doors and with a 10/12” woofer in back for bass.
I think all the seats and carpet muffle the sound, Im thinking adding 4" woofers in all four front doors and some tweeters up in the headliner. 10" Woofers in the back doors might be a great idea also!

Bcrump1984

Reaction score
I think all the seats and carpet muffle the sound, Im thinking adding 4" woofers in all four front doors and some tweeters up in the headliner. 10" Woofers in the back doors might be a great idea also!
I just went with new 6.5”s in the doors a 12” pre loaded kenwood sub and 5 channel amp to power it all. Hope to get it all put in once the truck gets back from the shop.