Steering Wheel Play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crashdawg2099

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I have a 98 1500 WT 2WD and have done the whole front end to include all the steering components, control arms, shocks, and put in a reman steering gear box. I took it in and had the front end aligned and it is straight as an arrow BUT I still have about an inch of play in each direction when I turn the steering wheel.

This is the second gear box I put in it because I was told that the first reman one was bad as it had the same type of play. The place that did the alignment is trying to tell me that i need a new gear box although I did replace it with this reman one.

I am being told that i should not need to adjust the lash on a reman unit as it should be good to go, but then i have also been told that i do need to adjust it? Can anyone shed some light on this for me if you have had this issue or something similar?

I know how to adjust it but do not want to go on and mess with anything if I do not have too. I also swapped out the steering column and made sure the joints on that have no play and they are good.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this and see if i can get this thing tightened up!!

Roman

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is usually talked about in the other? suspension section. If you search for steering wheel play,steering box....should pull up some threads where you will see you're not alone in your issue. Guess there is not a dedicated steering section?
Did you keep your old box?

Last edited: