Unpredictable Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i ordered a bypass for the PS pump. $27 on amazon. :peace:

It should include a new flow control orifice union and an adapter enabling you to connect the existing high-pressure line to the (new) flow control orifice union. If it doesn’t have both then it’s incomplete.

:waytogo:

(edit) See the picture in my later post

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would trust the folks here to diagnose the pump, so I'm not commenting on that, but what you describe is actually called bump steer and is usually caused by incorrect steering geometry (although apparently not in this case).

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it 100% required to remove the pump to install this?

As I remember (I did this repair long ago), yes. Removing the EVO from the back of the pump requires some room to work.

Maybe others had different experiences, and will tell.

(Edit) These are the parts you'll need (pictured). They usually come together as a kit.

You can assemble your own "kit" by buying the flow control orifice union from anywhere and then, instead of using the adapter (U-pipe, pictured), replace your high-pressure line (from PS pump to the gearbox) with one from a 1995 or earlier GMT400.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I'm a little skeptical that a $27 Amazon kit will include the correct flow control orifice. I'd be more comfortable with the recommended GM kit.

What you got may be fine, but if your steering feels over or under boosted after installing then I'd be looking at that part.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it 100% required to remove the pump to install this?

You can borrow / rent the tool needed to remove the pulley, if you don't have it.

Tip: Get a proper-sized bottoming tap (Metric?) and use it to clean out the threaded hole on the inside of the PS pump shaft, b/c you'll need to thread the installer tool into that hole when installing the belt pulley.

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Working properly, EVO steering is very light at low speed (including when engine is idling) and 'weighty' at higher speed - and utterly predictable throughout.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working properly, EVO steering is very light at low speed (including when engine is idling) and 'weighty' at higher speed - and utterly predictable throughout.
Improperly working, EVO steering causes unintended lane changes when hitting expansion joints at highway speeds… :oops::ban: